lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2019, 08:32 PM   #1
WifeSlave
Not Yet Wild

Default New Guy prolly not new question!

So I’m planning on upgrading the speed controller to a 400 amp along with a heavy duty solenoid and forward/reverse switch. I know I need to upgrade the wiring to at least 4 gauge but what my question is, which wires or how many need to be upgraded?

Btw my cart is an 01 ezgo txt series 36 volt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WifeSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:45 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: New Guy prolly not new question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeSlave View Post
So I’m planning on upgrading the speed controller to a 400 amp along with a heavy duty solenoid and forward/reverse switch. I know I need to upgrade the wiring to at least 4 gauge but what my question is, which wires or how many need to be upgraded? ALL of them. And to avoid confusion, wires are small, cables are big.

Btw my cart is an 01 ezgo txt series 36 volt

OK WifeSlave, what do you plan on using your cart for? Four adults = rear seat = amps. Hills = amps. Oversized tires = amps. Hauling stuff = amps. Off road = ??? (amps).

400 amps is plenty, but when I did mine, the incremental cost between 400 and 500 amps was a "MAN" thing, seein' how you're a WifeSlave. AMPS = BIGG. Same as cables. Go with 2 AWG, but make sure you ask for them to be made for eventual 48 volt upgrade, as 8 volt batteries have their terminals different than 6 volts.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:07 PM   #3
WifeSlave
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
OK WifeSlave, what do you plan on using your cart for? Four adults = rear seat = amps. Hills = amps. Oversized tires = amps. Hauling stuff = amps. Off road = ??? (amps).

400 amps is plenty, but when I did mine, the incremental cost between 400 and 500 amps was a "MAN" thing, seein' how you're a WifeSlave. AMPS = BIGG. Same as cables. Go with 2 AWG, but make sure you ask for them to be made for eventual 48 volt upgrade, as 8 volt batteries have their terminals different than 6 volts.

The cart is actually for my wife and kids. We were looking for a 500 originally but came across a great deal on a new 400 amp Alltrax for $160 so we went with that already. The cart does have a rear seat and stock tires. I plan on lifting it 6” and wheel/tire package in the future. As of now the cart came with 3 brand new deep cycle 12 volt marine batteries. I was going to buy 3 more and wire them in series parallel but then I found out I could buy 5 Nissan Leaf lithium ion battery modules for around $300 and was thinking of going that route instead and replacing the battery system entirely. I’m sure I’ll need some help in doing all of this as I am just learning as I go, so any help or tips are welcome and appreciated.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:27 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
The cart is actually for my wife and kids. We were looking for a 500 originally but came across a great deal on a new 400 amp Alltrax for $160 so we went with that already. The cart does have a rear seat and stock tires. I plan on lifting it 6” and wheel/tire package in the future. As of now the cart came with 3 brand new deep cycle 12 volt marine batteries. I was going to buy 3 more and wire them in series parallel but then I found out I could buy 5 Nissan Leaf lithium ion battery modules for around $300 and was thinking of going that route instead and replacing the battery system entirely. I’m sure I’ll need some help in doing all of this as I am just learning as I go, so any help or tips are welcome and appreciated.

I'd still go with 2 AWG cables, and either a site sponsor HD FNR or reversing contactor, and the highest amp solenoid you can find.

I bought my stuff here, and suspect he could sell you cables based on your Lithium design:

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/

Lithium forum:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lithium-ezgo/
Old 06-13-2019, 09:50 PM   #5
WifeSlave
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I'd still go with 2 AWG cables, and either a site sponsor HD FNR or reversing contactor, and the highest amp solenoid you can find.

I bought my stuff here, and suspect he could sell you cables based on your Lithium design:

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/

Lithium forum:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lithium-ezgo/

Hey thanks that place seems legit! Way better pricing than what I’ve seen before!

I’ve already ordered a 400 amp controller (from a member on BGW), HD Solenoid, and HD FR switch. So I’m set there. I was looking to either build my own cables ( I’ve done this with my 12K winch on my Dodge diesel) or buy a set if I can find them at a decent price. I think I will go with 2 AWG cables as you are the 3rd person to recommend them and our local golf cart shop has started to go to them. Besides better to over due than burn something up.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:00 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hey thanks that place seems legit! Way better pricing than what I’ve seen before!

I’ve already ordered a 400 amp controller (from a member on BGW), HD Solenoid, and HD FR switch. So I’m set there. I was looking to either build my own cables ( I’ve done this with my 12K winch on my Dodge diesel) or buy a set if I can find them at a decent price. I think I will go with 2 AWG cables as you are the 3rd person to recommend them and our local golf cart shop has started to go to them. Besides better to over due than burn something up.

To quote a member JohnnyB, overkill is underrated. As another retired engineer, I concur.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:45 PM   #7
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:

Which leaf batteries are you getting and where?
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:55 PM   #8
WifeSlave
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
Which leaf batteries are you getting and where?

I was looking on eBay at Green a Tech Auto.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:19 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

No matter what you eventually decide for batteries lead vs lithium, totally ditch the "marine deep cycle" idea. Those are a horrible plan for golf carts! Never seen one of those plans last longer than 3 years for ANY golf cart use. There is a big difference from "marine deep cycle" batteries to actual "golf cart deep cycle" batteries. Don't throw any dollars down that hole!

Slightly different story, but still applies. A few years back, local FD sent us their cart in for "poor performance", 36v work hauler. Someone at their motor pool figured out how to stuff 6 "deep cycle Yellow Top Optimas" in there to make things nicer. Series/parallel. They were 18 months old, and totally useless. I was so mad to have seen my local tax dollars wasted so badly!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:41 AM   #10
WifeSlave
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
No matter what you eventually decide for batteries lead vs lithium, totally ditch the "marine deep cycle" idea. Those are a horrible plan for golf carts! Never seen one of those plans last longer than 3 years for ANY golf cart use. There is a big difference from "marine deep cycle" batteries to actual "golf cart deep cycle" batteries. Don't throw any dollars down that hole!

Slightly different story, but still applies. A few years back, local FD sent us their cart in for "poor performance", 36v work hauler. Someone at their motor pool figured out how to stuff 6 "deep cycle Yellow Top Optimas" in there to make things nicer. Series/parallel. They were 18 months old, and totally useless. I was so mad to have seen my local tax dollars wasted so badly!

For now we are going to use what’s in the cart because they are brand new batteries but I would like to have a lithium set up ready to go once the Marine batteries expire (not sure how long that’ll be). Still have a lot of reading to do.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO