lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2019, 06:00 PM   #1
Rubidon
Not Yet Wild

Default 91 KF82 Rebuild.

Hi guys,
My wife and I bought a basket case golf cart. Really, the motor was in pieces in a basket. We were told that all it needed was a connecting rod and it would be all set. Figured it would be a cool project for us to work on together.
Yeah right, guy forgot to put the carb and piston in the basket. No matter he sent them a couple days later in the mail.
Long story short, not knowing what the heck we are doing we ordered a rod and with some exploded view pictures we assembled the engine back together with proper torque specs. After figuring out the fuel line nipple was missing off the carb and getting a new one of them, we got it running sort of. It is running like poop but my main concern is there is a knock in the motor.
Where do I start with this problem.
Rubidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:46 PM   #2
BuggieMaverick
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 91 KF82 Rebuild.

I hate to bring bad news, but the KF82 is known for rod knocks after high hours of use and there isn’t a cheap fix. The problem is there isn’t a bearing for the rod. The rod and the crankshaft wear, and to my knowledge, Kawasaki doesn’t make undersized rods if you were to have the crankshaft ground. You can search for posts here for people that’s tried to replace just the rod but the knock quickly comes back. Essentially the crankshaft wears to an oval shape and replacing just the rod won’t fix it for long because it’s only fixing half the problem.

My guess is the engine was torn apart because it had a rod knock. To fix it right, you’ll also have to replace the crankshaft, which is expensive. Alternatively, you could try to find an engine builder that can weld a new layer to the crank and then machine it back to factory specs.

I “fixed” my KF82 rod knock last year by doing a big block conversion. The KF82 is moderately powered even on a good day, and the full rebuild kits with a new crankshaft is expensive. For me, it wasn’t worth saving the KF82.

You may get lucky with finding a useable used KF82 if you post an ad in the classifieds.
BuggieMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
Rubidon
Not Yet Wild

Yes you are correct, it was tore apart because of a knock.

Well thanks for the input. I may look for someone that can weld and machine the crank. May end up getting a different machine all together.
Rubidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

*raises hand*

I was one of the guys who had a knocking KF82, bought a new connecting rod, and slapped it in only to have the knock return. I ended up finding an entire used motor before I had to take any further steps.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...-club-car.html
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:51 AM   #5
88clubcarproject
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have a running KF82 that I am taking out to do a big block. Runs good with new carb.
88clubcarproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:47 PM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88clubcarproject View Post
I have a running KF82 that I am taking out to do a big block. Runs good with new carb.
Still got it?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car