lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
EVLLS1
Gone Wild

Default Picked up an 84 EZho today

pretty positive it's an 84... 2stroke 244cc....

figured i'd post the "build" here so as gremlins are found / removed i can get some help from you guys and you can see how the cart comes along.
has brand new tires, hub caps, and rims look new too... has BRIGHT as hell headlights, taillights, recovered seat that's nice...

here's as i got her...

the owner said the only thing wrong was the beeper stayed on in forward and reverse so he unplugged it....

i guess it drained the battery a few times because i took the battery to autozone to test it and it was shot out... so picked up a new battery for it.

also picked up an inline fuse filter so i can see the filter itself....
can of seafoam, a turned down pipe for exhaust later on =X
some rear end dope, an amber flashing LED topper light, wire, switch, and some other little things....

found out why the rear end was dry... it had a ding in the bottom causing it to leak out... nothing some JB weld couldn't fix.... let dry and added lube.. quieted it down nicely....

added the fuel line on there, added the new battery, added some sea foam to clean her out, took off all the camo tape off the cart,

i've got the paint for her ordered:

i'm going to have to replace the key ignition.. the male connectors on there are real loose so it can cut off of the shake loose too much... not good

i'm going to clean up all the wiring the previous owner did to make it nicer looking.... then just start from there.

the amber light has given me trouble tonight.. it should be the easiest install... but it was frustrating me. should be a ground/12v install with a switch... it works great when the cart is OFF but when i turn it ON the amber light barely flickers.. i HOPE it's just cause the ignition is a piece of crap right now.... we'll see tomorrow....

let the build begin
EVLLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Picked up an 84 EZho today

What size wire are you running it on?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
EVLLS1
Gone Wild

on the amber light? the light came with a regular ole cigerette plug it has some tiny wire but i cut it off about 3 inches from the light then ran 18ga. from the light to the power. i'm thinking it MIGHT be the ignition switch though since the terminals on it are loose might be a problem getting power to the light. not 100% but might work... last night i stopped twice and the cart cut off.... i turned the terminal around and it started right back up. you can see a spark on that terminal from it being loose
Old 08-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
EVLLS1
Gone Wild

some bling came in the mail today

these will do until i start cutting and welding stuff =)
Old 08-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
EVLLS1
Gone Wild

yesterday i installed the new fuel pump... it's running awesome now! - slow up hills still... what can i do for that??

well today's projects included painting the rear backing of the seats (the top part of the seats) did them in house of kolor black basecoat with house of kolor clearcoat.

took the front tires off... sand blasted the entire front steering component area and painted it all a navy blue enamel....

the previous owner painted all that area a deep purple =X

figured what the rattling noise was... the inside of the muffler.. the tubing has been loose so it was rattling about in there... i cut a 2.5" hole in the bottom of the muffler and got all the metal parts i could out... jammed the loose pipe in a corner (because the tube wouldn't come out the hole i cut) then poured some gorilla glue in there so the tube won't rattle anymore....

now it sounds like a rice burner but sounds pretty good.. has a deep rumble to it now.

that'll be fine until i redo the exhaust.

also redid the nuts and bolts holding the seat topper pieces on
Old 08-17-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
EVLLS1
Gone Wild

pulled the motor out today after i heard a TINK... saw that a piston ring gave out and this occured

luckily the crankshaft stopped so nothing got chewed up!!!

new piston/cylinder are coming though.....

also gives me the opportunity to paint the engine bay... i'm ordering some RUST BULLET to hit the engine bay with first.... not sure if you've heard of it.. but it's AWESOME.. actually penetrates the rust the first layer... then 2nd-3rd layer starts building the surface back up... awesome stuff!

i'm looking for some other parts to add on there too.. might as well while it's apart =)

it looks like the motor's not been touched since 1984 so i'm planning on cleaning the MESS out of the motor literally.... maybe paint it up too.

i need some help as far as installing the new piston... on these motors how do you check the timing?
Old 08-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #7
EZ-GOnewild
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool Re: Picked up an 84 EZho today

Ouch!

Looks like you are off to a great start on your new project. There is a Sticky on the home page about your engine, you might take a look at that if you haven't already.

Keep us posted with the progress.
EZ-GOnewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
DEWDIGGLER
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

the points are behind the flywheel.
just take the 2 screws off the fly wheel cover and there they are.

if its running good i wouldnt mess with them, they can be touch'e

good luck, Dew
DEWDIGGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
DEWDIGGLER
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

looks to me by the pic. that the base gasket was leaking bad!
the piston actually looks clean.
as far as installing a new piston & rings, its a pc. of cake.
the rings are bevelled which is up
and slide on with the pins on the piston in between the ring openings

also lube everything with 2 stroke oil as you close it up
DEWDIGGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #10
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

EV, My two cents, I would mark the timing with a small chisel and tear it all the way down so you can clean the entire case and crank and bearings. Those pesky little pieses of piston can hide and come back to haunt your rebuild. I don't know about EZ Go but Yama Bond is what I use to seal the lower cases with.
Good luck
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO