lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2016, 09:18 PM   #1
Aauman88
Gone Wild

Default How bad did he screw up?

In-law has a really nice Precedent and he calls me today and says it won't budge. Go check it and batts are bone dry. Took 4 gallons of distilled water to get batts over plates for me to charge. It's on shop now on charger but just curious what to expect. He's had cart about 6 months and I asked when he checked water to get idea how fast this happened and he says, " well I didn't think I had to check that often". So I finally get it out of him that he has never checked the water

It's the right one
Aauman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2016, 09:30 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: How bad did he screw up?

yea it will be good if it holds a charge at all
you did use distilled water , right ?
but no worries he can steal the ones out of the left cart
Old 04-09-2016, 09:52 PM   #3
Aauman88
Gone Wild

Yes I used distilled. I work on carts all the time and that's what makes his lack of thought so funny. I work and build on my carts so I know to check stuff. He bought his cart so he just expects all to be well. I've just never ran across bone dry batts less than a year old. Didn't know what to expect
Old 04-10-2016, 12:40 AM   #4
BrianBradley
Not Yet Wild

It's a "Limited Edition" so it should be just fine. Like Charlie Sheeen's tiger blood
BrianBradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:10 AM   #5
thompson521dc
Getting Wild

Club Car

My closest experience with this is with a floor scrubber at work that uses golf cart type batteries. They batts are six months old and the situation is about the same. Suddenly the thing will barely move without going dead. Batts were dry, nobody had ever checked them. We ended up having to order a new set because even after filling there was no change.
thompson521dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:06 AM   #6
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

You could look into purchasing the acid solution and reintroducing it to the dry cells in moderation. Just an idea. My guess is they are toast.
Guess he fell for the old BMW Dealership "Lifetime Fluids" pitch the sales guys spew. Maybe his limited edition package included the never water option? I kid I kid.

Good luck to him.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:21 AM   #7
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

As mentioned probably will not charge, I'd try to individually charge each one with a 12v charger and see if you can get them high enough to let the cart charger charge them. If anything they may work, just not hold a long charge, usually the plates get damaged when dry charging so this probably won't do much. I'd suggest him reading Scotty B's battery charging procedure and the break-in procedure, it is listed on his website, educate so this doesn't happen again.BTW, both are nice looking carts!!
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:47 AM   #8
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

well thats sad, waste of good batteries. But the $600.00 lesson learned , the problem most likely wont happen again
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

One should never add acid to these batteries unless it's been dumped out. When they go dry, it's only the water that is missing.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:58 AM   #10
Aauman88
Gone Wild

Thanks guys. Think I may take this oppurtunity to try and work a trade out, my lifted cart for his. Been looking into Lithium conversion and his cart is the ideal one to do it to. I just finished mine and he really likes it but I'm sure his wife would make final decision
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car