lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2023, 07:48 AM   #1
dolfan13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default AM/FM Radio CC DS

Ok so this is a problem I have been trying to solve for some time. I installed a AM/FM radio in my dash and mounted speakers above the rear tires. In the radio mode only, when you press the accelerator pedal the radio basically becomes static. I have a 2007 CC DS with a MCOR1 and a new Navitas 5kw motor, 400 amp solenoid and AC motor controller.
So I mounted marine radio with a normal antenna in the dash that has a separate battery so the wires to the radio are very short. My speaker wires are under the floor mat and not crossing or touching any of the carts wiring. I do have the grounds to this circuit attached to the cart frame. Since the AC upgrade the reception improved tremendously. I thought when I removed the DC circuit and all of its components that my problem would be solved however it did not. Pushing the accelerator still affects the reception in the radio mode, Bluetooth works fine.
Is the MCOR causing my interference? Or would it be the controller?
dolfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2023, 07:52 AM   #2
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: AM/FM Radio CC DS

Pretty sure you need to ground it somewhere other than the frame. Golf carts don't ground out like cars.
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 08:02 AM   #3
dolfan13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So just use the ground at the battery only? As I was typing my post made me think about that ground wiring. I will try that and update. Thanks
Old 05-27-2023, 08:55 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Yes. On electric golf carts all grounds need to go straight to the 12v battery if using a separate battery, or to the 48>12v converter ground wire. The frame should be completely isolated from all electricity

Gas carts do ground to the frame, however. So be careful when googling how to’s as gas vs electric are different
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 10:45 AM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Your radio is picking up noise from the motor and controller. More expensive radios have a suppression system built in to the tuner but you could try an antenna filter.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 01:20 PM   #6
dolfan13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Took care of the ground to the frame and just grounded to the battery. Radio seems to be good to go. I can listen to the radio now while the cart charges where I couldn’t before. Will test it on the road when the rain stops.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:32 PM   #7
dolfan13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Radio is doing great

Tags
radio, speaker
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car