lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2023, 04:02 PM   #1
B_marshall
Not Yet Wild

Default 1990 Club Car DS turns over but clutch won't engage.

Hello, new member here. I have a 1990 club car DS (kf82 engine) and I have been trying to get it back in working order. Recently the engine sized up and and would not turn over. It was bone dry, not sure when the last time the oil was changed. I was able to break it free and got fresh oil in and ran good for about a week or two. The cart was always slow to start, needed to feather the gas pedal to find the sweet spot, and was a little jerky off the bat going forward and reverse, but would keep steady speed once it ran. The other day going up a hill it bogged down and started making a loud noise clanking noise then completely died at the top of the hill. It started smoking from the passenger side (drive clutch area) but couldn't pin point from where. The engine turns over, and the clutch spins, but the clutch will not engage to start the engine. Both clutches spin freely with no noise (no obvious signs of damage), and all new belts. I also put on a brand new carb, fuel pump, filter, gas lines, everything fuel related. I'm hesitant on getting a new drive clutch since I've already dumped a lot of money into a 30 year old cart, but can't afford a new one. My concern is that the engine was seized, but now moves freely and sounds good, so should I caulk it up to being the clutch or a more series problem within the engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
B_marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2023, 08:46 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: 1990 Club Car DS turns over but clutch won't engage.

The clutch doesn't have to engage for the engine to start. The small belt that runs back to the starter generator is what turns the motor over and subsequently gets it started. It sounds like your motor has an issue starting, not the clutch. Need to check for air/fuel/spark.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:55 PM   #3
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1990 Club Car DS turns over but clutch won't engage.

marshall,
You said:
Quote:
Recently the engine sized up and and would not turn over. It was bone dry, not sure when the last time the oil was changed.
Was this cart running when you first got it or are you trying to just make it work after someone else run the engine without oil.

Quote:
The engine turns over, and the clutch spins,
When you say, "the engine turn over" do you me it is running ?

Welcome to BGW

Richard
Ricks_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car