lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2023, 04:15 PM   #1
Julie1374
Not Yet Wild

Default 1999 Yamaha starting issues

Hi,
I’m a pretty new and clueless golf cart owner. I have a 1999 gas Yamaha a g16 I believe.
I just put in a brand new battery and solenoid was replaced last year. The battery dies and if I jump it it will start. I thought it was the very old battery that was in it and at first it did seem to do the trick.
I’m not sure what to troubleshoot next.
Any suggestions are appreciated!! I have a friend who is going to come help me look at it, he is a mechanic but doesn’t know golf carts as well.
Thank you!!
Julie1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2023, 05:34 PM   #2
SteveCSC
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1999 Yamaha starting issues

Attached is the starting point, provided you can read a wiring diagram. There aren't a lot of things connected directly to the battery, the only two I know of is the indicator light for low oil, and the reverse buzzer.

Everything beyond that should not have power unless the key is on. Depending on if your cart has been modified, or wiring spliced - it would be hard to advise without knowing more info.

Depending on your electrical skills - can advise further. If you don't have tools/skills, great time to learn.

While running, the battery should be seeing anywhere from 13.5 to 15V to recharge the battery, and this would be off-idle when cart would be normally be moving.
Attached Images
File Type: gif yamaha-g16a-wiring-diagram.gif (40.0 KB, 0 views)
SteveCSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 05:20 PM   #3
Julie1374
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCSC View Post
Attached is the starting point, provided you can read a wiring diagram. There aren't a lot of things connected directly to the battery, the only two I know of is the indicator light for low oil, and the reverse buzzer.

Everything beyond that should not have power unless the key is on. Depending on if your cart has been modified, or wiring spliced - it would be hard to advise without knowing more info.

Depending on your electrical skills - can advise further. If you don't have tools/skills, great time to learn.

While running, the battery should be seeing anywhere from 13.5 to 15V to recharge the battery, and this would be off-idle when cart would be normally be moving.
Thank you! Well the diagram is like reading Greek to me. Lol.
I have plenty of tools and am willing to get my hands dirty. I just don’t know where to start.
Julie1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 07:17 PM   #4
SteveCSC
Not Yet Wild

Well, lets start with some of the basics. After battery charged up - pull the drive belt so you can run the engine without the cart moving (or worse screwing up the axle). Check the voltage at the battery with the key off, key on, key on starter just turning engine over, and key on running at 'normal' engine speed (by ear). This should tell you what you are starting with, if there is something putting a load on with the key on, and if the charging circuit is working once running.

Also forgot to ask, has the cart been modified (wiring) or are there any add-ons - like lights, radio, horns.
SteveCSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha