lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2023, 10:31 AM   #1
parrothead82
Not Yet Wild

Default Continuation of Lithium Battery not living up to standards

I purchased Lithium Batteries during March of 2020. The OBC was bypassed during initial install. I had several issues with balancing and batteries not working as advertised. These issues were resolved by placing the batteries in parallel charge with 12 volt charger furnished by Allied and adding the balancer around Oct 2020 with assistance from Kyle Copeland and Jake from DW parts .

A few weeks ago I used the cart and placed on charge afterwards. SOC was about 42% at the time it was put on charger. Two days later, I went to use the cart. I disconnected the charger from the cart and there was no power from the batteries and cart would not move. I used a voltmeter to take readings from each battery. Each battery indicated no voltage. I removed batteries from the cart. I then took readings on each battery. Two batteries indicated 0 voltage and two batteries indicated between 11 and 12 volts. I brought the batteries home to troubleshoot.

Once home I took another reading from the batteries and all batteries indicated 11-12 volts. I connected them parallel to a 12v charger and fully charged and balanced the batteries. I installed the batteries back into the cart and played 18 holes. I connected the charger and the AH meter on the charger did not display current AH. I returned next day and the cart had not charged. Over the last month, Allied stated that the batteries were not covered by warranty because I had shorted the batteries. They have sent me a new balancer and charger to help troubleshoot the batteries. These actions did not correct the issue.

I play 18 holes 3 days a week and now take the batteries home to charge and balance each time I play. Cart runs fine and battery capacity seems to be normal as if I charged installed in cart.

Can someone please assist?
parrothead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2023, 12:06 PM   #2
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Continuation of Lithium Battery not living up to standards

This is a known issue with running 12v batteries in series. You are ending up with a imbalance in the pack that a single 48v charger can not fix due to the multiple bms configuration.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 05:24 PM   #3
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead82 View Post
A few weeks ago I used the cart and placed on charge afterwards. SOC was about 42% at the time it was put on charger.
What JasonJordan said is absolutely correct, but I think you already know that. Once connected in parallel and top balanced, they should maintain balance for a short while at least.

Was the cart left unused for some time? Those balancers will suck power from the batteries continuously and can ruin them.

Is your 48v charger faulty, that would certainly explain things.

You are using lithium chargers I hope, both 12v and 48v.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:22 PM   #4
parrothead82
Not Yet Wild

Yes I am very aware of the series configuration of my batteries is defective. But I did not know this at the time of purchase. I discovered this after installing and not having sufficient capacity to finish one round of golf. However, installation of the balancer has corrected the deficiency enough for me to use them for 3 years without issue.

As previously stated the issue is that the batteries seemed to have failed during a charging cycle. The batteries will not charge while in the cart series connected. They will charge in 12 volt parallel. They charge to 14.1 volts on each battery. Once installed after charging they perform as before, but when connected to the 58.5V charger they do not charge. I checked wiring, replaced charger and balancer to no avail.

Can someone tell me the cause for batteries to allow a 12V parallel charge and not a series configured 58.5 V charge? Should there be 58.5V at the red cable that is to be connected to the positive post with charger connected and batteries removed? Also, is there anything else I can do? Thanks much for any assistance provided.

Allied has not been forth coming with root cause failure modes or any ownership of the problem with the exception of providing new charger and balancer to assist in trouble shooting.
parrothead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:28 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The batteries don't know the difference. What may be happening is that one battery is shutting down the charging causing the others not to charge. By the way, you can charge each one with the 12V charger without putting them in parallel.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 10:20 PM   #6
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

This is looking like a 48v charging issue. Batteries look to be fine if they perform as expected after being charged in parallel.

How are you charging, have you checked all charging cables/plugs.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 07:03 AM   #7
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

This should be a "sticky" as an example of what often happens when 12v solar/rv lifepo4 batteries are used in a series with one 48v charger.

The title of the thread is kind of misleading I assume intentionally so as it shows the frustration of the owner... This isnt really a "standard" lithium golf cart configuration as least not one that doesnt have this well known limitation.

Theres multiple batteries here of the wrong type. If they were advertised for use in golf carts I agree the supplier/ company you purchased them from should try to offer support or a solution. Im guessing they thought the balancer would do the trick. The best solution I know of is charging them with 12v lifepo4 chargers as mentioned.

Someone needs to develop a single permanently wired 12v charger to charge all of these concurrently for this type of install
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 07:43 AM   #8
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Think this is what you are looking for augi

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENPRO10...4932148&sr=8-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
This should be a "sticky" as an example of what often happens when 12v solar/rv lifepo4 batteries are used in a series with one 48v charger.

The title of the thread is kind of misleading I assume intentionally so as it shows the frustration of the owner... This isnt really a "standard" lithium golf cart configuration as least not one that doesnt have this well known limitation.

Theres multiple batteries here of the wrong type. If they were advertised for use in golf carts I agree the supplier/ company you purchased them from should try to offer support or a solution. Im guessing they thought the balancer would do the trick. The best solution I know of is charging them with 12v lifepo4 chargers as mentioned.

Someone needs to develop a single permanently wired 12v charger to charge all of these concurrently for this type of install
Old 05-24-2023, 08:01 AM   #9
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Think this is what you are looking for augi

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENPRO10...4932148&sr=8-9
Yes thanks.. good to know they exist for this configuration.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 09:16 AM   #10
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
Yes thanks.. good to know they exist for this configuration.
Yep, have not seen any more then a 4 but they go from 1-4
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium