lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2023, 01:04 PM   #1
CEE_BEE
Not Yet Wild

Default Can I use lower Ah batteries if I don't need to go far?

I just bought a 1995 36V EZGO cart and need to replace the batteries. Most golf carts come with 200-225 Ah batteries so that they can run for several miles and several hours on a golf course. But I will use this cart only for brief trips on my property, 15 minutes/day max, with a few moderate hills.

1) Can I replace the six 6 volt batteries with three 12 volt batteries to save weight and cost?

2) How many Amp hours will I really need? 50? 75? 100?
CEE_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2023, 01:10 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can I use lower Ah batteries if I don't need to go far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE_BEE View Post
I just bought a 1995 36V EZGO cart and need to replace the batteries. Most golf carts come with 200-225 Ah batteries so that they can run for several miles and several hours on a golf course. But I will use this cart only for brief trips on my property, 15 minutes/day max, with a few moderate hills.

1) Can I replace the six 6 volt batteries with three 12 volt batteries to save weight and cost?

You can replace 6/6v with 31/2v but 12v hold less amperage by design. A good 6v battery is 220 amp hours. 12v GC battery is 115 or near 50 % of the 6v capacity.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:27 AM   #3
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you are sticking with FLA I would not go under 115ah 12v batteries. With how FLA batteries works this is equivalent to around 75ah lithium batteries.

Is switching to lithium in the budget at this point or no? For lower AH capacity setups you can do it for as little as $1500.

Sounds like the cart is stock or nearly stock and your terrain is relatively flat. If you have goals of increasing power or lifting the cart in the future the only thing you will want to be aware of is that AH ratings also correlate to max continuous amp draw the batteries can put out and if you go with too small of a pack you may not have enough Peak or continuous amperage available to run the cart.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 01:17 PM   #4
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:

Sure you can, but you probably won't like it. It's kind of like having a 5 gallon gas tank in your car. You will have to refill (charge) more than you will like.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:02 PM   #5
CEE_BEE
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the responses! The benefits of going to three 12 volt batteries and lower Ah batteries are lower weight (approx 150 lbs) and lower cost (~$500). I hear good things about lithium, but don't want to invest in that upgrade at this time.

Max usage is 15 min per day, and I can charge it every night after I use it, so I don't see the downside of going with fewer Ah.

I am looking at MightyMax AGM deep cycle batteries available from Home Depot - $160 for 75 Ah or $180 for 100Ah. AGM batteries are sealed (no need to monitor/add water). Any opinion on these?
CEE_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:48 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thank you for the responses! The benefits of going to three 12 volt batteries and lower Ah batteries are lower weight (approx 150 lbs) and lower cost (~$500). I hear good things about lithium, but don't want to invest in that upgrade at this time.

Max usage is 15 min per day, and I can charge it every night after I use it, so I don't see the downside of going with fewer Ah.

I am looking at MightyMax AGM deep cycle batteries available from Home Depot - $160 for 75 Ah or $180 for 100Ah. AGM batteries are sealed (no need to monitor/add water). Any opinion on these?
AGM ot your best golf cart battery. Requires AGM setting or charger with lower AGM finish voltage. And Generally a shorter useful life like 2.5-3 yrs
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 06:20 AM   #7
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

With scottyb on this one. AGM is not worth it. Maybe check if you have a local cart shop that has some take offs to get you by till you decide what you want to do long term?
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 12:17 PM   #8
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

We have an Interstate Battery place in our town that sells blemished/reworked batteries. I got 6 x 6volt batteries for about $650 total few months ago and they are doing fine. I know they won't last as long as good batteries, but I am also buying time before upgrading. If you have one near you, check to see if they have some blemish 12 volts.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 08:40 AM   #9
john fox
Not Yet Wild

I would want all the reserve I could get just in case I couldn't charge it every night, like a large power outage lasting multiple days.
it can and has happened to me in the past.
I work my cart daily but if it's only a hobby ride to you that may not enter into the picture?
john fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 08:52 AM   #10
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yeah our local Interstate sells blemish batteries for $100 apiece. They are not the greatest but they are preferable over 3 12V in my opinion. You also can’t easily fit 3 12V batteries in the battery tray. Keep that in mind.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amp-hours, batteries, ezgo, personal use
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO