lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2023, 08:54 AM   #1
Jblack
Getting Wild

Default Is it the solenoid?? 2001 36v TXT

Looking for some confirmation. Cart stopped working while out golfing. Towed it home and started diagnosing per the sticky and ScottyB's webpage.

Cart has new batteries . charged and holding 38.7 volts. all connections tight and in good condition (2GA wires througout)

Has DC182 reversing contactors. (less than 6 months old) The contactors "click" in both forward and reverse.

Tested motor and it spins

Checked ITS and its reading correctly

controller output ranges between pack voltage and 0 with peddle depressed.

Pulled resistor and checked solenoid per the test.I assume it's original. With peddle depressed I have pack voltage on controller side, but it stays at pack voltage when I release the peddle? I can't hear a click, but it may be because the contactor click is louder? So I assume it's the solenoid is at fault. (stuck closed) But if that's the case, why wouldn't the wheel spin if voltage is going to the controller and it seems to be functioning. Maybe the contactor is bad. Is there a diag test for that?
I hate chasing electrical issues I like to see stuff that's broken. I don't want to through parts at it. Any help is much appreciated!!
Jblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2023, 09:06 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is it the solenoid?? 2001 36v TXT

If the resistor is removed and the voltage on the controller side does not disappear when the pedal is lifted the bridge is welded to the contacts in the solenoid. The controller may detect this and not work for safety reasons.

Original solenoid is 20 + yrs old + failed a test = replace it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 09:12 AM   #3
Jblack
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If the resistor is removed and the voltage on the controller side does not disappear when the pedal is lifted the bridge is welded to the contacts in the solenoid. The controller may detect this and not work for safety reasons.

Original solenoid is 20 + yrs old + failed a test = replace it.
Thanks Scotty! I assumed but wanted confirmation. I'll be heading to your site to order a new one.
Old 05-20-2023, 09:17 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack View Post
Thanks Scotty! I assumed but wanted confirmation. I'll be heading to your site to order a new one.
Our HD solenoids do not fit under the OEM controller cover. If using the stock control and cover stick to a stock solenoid.
If using an open mount aftermarket controller use SW180 for controllers up to and including 400 amps. Use MZJ400A or SW200 for 500-600 amp controls.
Thanks for asking
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 06:35 AM   #5
Jblack
Getting Wild

Well the saga continues. Replaced the solenoid and it's still not moving in forward or reverse. I can now here the solenoid along with the reversing contactor. So It's looking like the controller.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:10 AM   #6
Rick2280
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

not Shure your year but my Ezgo had a magnetic reed switch built into the charger receptacle so cart will not move when charger is plugged in might be something to check.
Rick2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 09:53 AM   #7
Jblack
Getting Wild

okay further testing. Checked motor continuity and it's good. Then I started testing cable continuity from reversing contactor. A2 to M- on controller is good. A1 to post on contactor is good. When i test from S1 on motor to contactor I'm getting continuity to both terminals on contactor?? Same on S2. So I'm thinking the contactor is faulty? Shorted between the forward and reverse? UGH
Have I mentioned that I don't like electrical stuff? LOL
Old 05-25-2023, 01:47 PM   #8
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just throwing this out there, it could be Broken motor brush. I've seen it where a motor would pass the continuity test, but still not run. My guess is that it's that or the reversing contactor.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 09:42 AM   #9
Jblack
Getting Wild

I took the contactor top off and inspected. Nothing looked burned and very minor discoloration at the contact points. Put back together and the continuity was no longer there between the F and R posts. Tried again and head the solenoid click along with the contactor, but still no go. Tested the continuity again to the motor S1 and its reading to both the F and R posts. :(
Is there anyway to repair the contactor or do I have to get a new one?
Old 05-26-2023, 11:29 AM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Should be able to disconnect one of the S wires and either the + or M- wire. Then check for continuity with the solenoid activated in F and R. Should be none with no power.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO