lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2023, 11:16 AM   #1
mbbeaubi
Not Yet Wild

Default Recommended upgrade path for 36V Ezgo

I have an '02 36V ezgo txt series golf cart that I want to make go faster. It seems like there are 3 upgrade paths I can take, which would you recommend?

1. Remain at 36V. Upgrade the motor to a plum quick cobra (13HP) series motor and SR500 controller. Cost is ~2K.
2. Same as above, but upgrade to 10HP admiral sepex motor. Cost is about the same.
3. Throw 2 more 6V batteries in the cart and buy a 48V charger. Upgrade to 5kW AC. Cost is ~3K.

In the future I will probably upgrade to 48V Lithium, but for right now I just want to stick with perfectly fine 6V trojan batteries already in the cart.

I just want a golf cart that can go 25MPH carrying 4 adults on a flat road for a maximum of 10 miles between charges. Which would you choose?
mbbeaubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2023, 11:19 AM   #2
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Recommended upgrade path for 36V Ezgo

If you are considering lithium and upgrading to 48v would make more sense to just do that now then add more FLA to get to 48v and get a new charger since if you did go lithium you would need another new charger then too.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 11:37 AM   #3
mbbeaubi
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
If you are considering lithium and upgrading to 48v would make more sense to just do that now then add more FLA to get to 48v and get a new charger since if you did go lithium you would need another new charger then too.
Upgrading to lithium would be an additional 3K and then I'd still have to do a 2.5K AC conversion so it becomes too cost prohibitive to do it all at once.

That's why I'm leaning towards the series or the sepex options because they can both run at 36V. But if an AC motor is the only way I'm going to be able to haul 4 adults 10 miles at 25 MPH then I'm willing to bite the bullet.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:57 AM   #4
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbeaubi View Post
Upgrading to lithium would be an additional 3K and then I'd still have to do a 2.5K AC conversion so it becomes too cost prohibitive to do it all at once.

That's why I'm leaning towards the series or the sepex options because they can both run at 36V. But if an AC motor is the only way I'm going to be able to haul 4 adults 10 miles at 25 MPH then I'm willing to bite the bullet.
Why do you have to do the AC conversion at the same time as an upgrade to 48v and lithium? Assuming because you do not want to buy a controller twice??

48V and Lithium without AC or a different motor I don't think will get you to 25mph with 4 people on it.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 12:14 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Look at the TXT48 Sepex conversion from cartsunlimited.net for this cart. This kit will run on 36v lead acid now and 48v later. The kit includes everything you need. A wire harness, Admiral motor, Alltrax control, dual voltage solenoid, Rocker switch F&R and housing, in-dash digital battery meter.
The cost is about the same $2k here > https://www.cartsunlimited.net/txt48-conversion.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 12:21 PM   #6
mbbeaubi
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Why do you have to do the AC conversion at the same time as an upgrade to 48v and lithium? Assuming because you do not want to buy a controller twice??

48V and Lithium without AC or a different motor I don't think will get you to 25mph with 4 people on it.
If I simply upgrade to 48V lithium, based on my research my stock cart would not be able to handle the voltage. So then I would need to at least put in a temporary DC controller until I'm ready to do AC. I don't think I'll be getting to close 25 MPH with the stock motor, so then I'll need to do the full AC conversion before I achieve my goals.

Whereas, with option 1 or 2, I should be getting pretty close to 25 MPH using only 36V after spending only 2K. And then later, when this 36V pack needs replacing, if I feel like it I can upgrade to 48V lithium and probably exceed 25 MPH.

Only issue with 1 or 2 is I'm spending a lot of money on not the latest tech, I'm not sure if Series or Sepex motors are still recommended in 2023 or if everyone is doing AC motors now.
Old 05-18-2023, 12:29 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Find the label on your controller because it might handle 48 volts. Some of the bigger ones they installed would.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 12:31 PM   #8
mbbeaubi
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Look at the TXT48 Sepex conversion from cartsunlimited.net for this cart. This kit will run on 36v lead acid now and 48v later. The kit includes everything you need. A wire harness, Admiral motor, Alltrax control, dual voltage solenoid, Rocker switch F&R and housing, in-dash digital battery meter.
The cost is about the same $2k here > https://www.cartsunlimited.net/txt48-conversion.html
Hi Scottie, that in fact is option 2 for me. I've been emailing with sales over at carts unlimited about it recently, not sure if that's you I've been talking to.

My only concern with that one is that the 36/48 kit only comes with a 10HP motor. The plum quick cobra series motor is 13.7HP at 36V and jumps up to 16.7HP at 48V.

So what is going to be a better motor? A high horse power series motor or a lower horse power sepex motor?

Are any of these options going to be able to achieve my goal of running 25 MPH with 4 adults?

Also, so you're not biased, I'm planning on buying my controller from carts unlimited with either option 1 or 2.
Old 05-18-2023, 12:37 PM   #9
mbbeaubi
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Find the label on your controller because it might handle 48 volts. Some of the bigger ones they installed would.
Label says Curtis 1214-P092949
Old 05-18-2023, 01:04 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

It must be the week for odd controllers. A 1214 shows a 24 pin connector and is pretty much made for a forklift. Doesn’t show where it can use an ITS throttle. Do you know what throttle that you have?
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!