lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2023, 08:11 AM   #1
daveinfl33777
Not Yet Wild

Default Question regarding battery voltage and top speed of cart

If I have a 36 volt cart and when fully charged it is only 37.5 (80% life) does that mean I will lose roughly 20% of my top speed? If I have 38.2 volts (just .7 volts more) I have a 100% satisfactory battery....doesn't seem like just .7 volts would make a difference in top speed....

Does this just mean my batteries won't be able to last as long but have no effect on performance (top speed)

I'm just trying to optimize my cart and get the most speed I can out of it....I don't want to replace a battery expecting a 3 mph increase just to find out my battery or batteries were fine....

Is there a spec that I need to be at when it comes to full speed...while cart is going as fast as it will go at full throttle on flat ground what my voltage should be at?
daveinfl33777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2023, 08:28 AM   #2
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Question regarding battery voltage and top speed of cart

If your batteries are 37.5v fully charged after resting I assure you there is a problem with your batteries. 3mph worth of problem? Hard to say.

I would check and see what your voltage drop is when you take off with the cart.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 08:40 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Depends on the cart but if it is a sepex speed is controlled by the controller and a speed sensor. Eventually speed will drop due to lower voltage but not at first.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 09:58 AM   #4
daveinfl33777
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
If your batteries are 37.5v fully charged after resting I assure you there is a problem with your batteries. 3mph worth of problem? Hard to say.

I would check and see what your voltage drop is when you take off with the cart.
Ok I will do so...I will take off from dead stop and record my findings....I have no idea the specs as to what is good and what isn't....if 37.5 drops to 36 then I'm assuming that's OK and not affecting top speed etc....if batteries are just not optimal but putting a new one or whole set in will not change overall top speed then I will not want to waste my $
Old 05-18-2023, 09:59 AM   #5
daveinfl33777
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Depends on the cart but if it is a sepex speed is controlled by the controller and a speed sensor. Eventually speed will drop due to lower voltage but not at first.

It is a sepex but motor has no speed sensor on it....no wires coming out of it....just 4 wires going in to the terminals a1 a2 f1 f2
Old 05-18-2023, 10:12 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

And have you taken it to the dealer yet??
Old 05-18-2023, 10:43 AM   #7
daveinfl33777
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
And have you taken it to the dealer yet??
No Saturday I will...haven't had any time
Old 05-21-2023, 02:08 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Was the dealer able to tell you anything?
Old 05-25-2023, 06:31 AM   #9
daveinfl33777
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Was the dealer able to tell you anything?
I wasn't able to make it there Saturday but this Saturday I am going 100%...I will let you know...I talked to mechanic on phone and he seems pretty confident he should be able to increase the speed a little by programming it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts