lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2023, 08:42 PM   #1
yamahag19kc
Not Yet Wild

Default New Buggy Addict - Needs help with G19 Motor/Controller Upgrade

Hello,

Im recently new to the golf cart world. I've owned them in the past when I was in my 20's living at the beach, but nothing to this level. Usually I would be seen driving around an old rusted out 3-wheeler from the 1970's with as little money invested as possible.

I recently bought a 1999 Yamaha G19 that has been owned by an older man for most of its life and kept in pretty good shape.

I installed a 6" A-arm Lift kit, 20" tires, 2" wheel spacers, fender flares, rear seat, and battery gauge. Came out pretty decent for an amateur.

Well recently, my wife (believe it or not) mentioned that the golf cart wasnt really fast enough (stock motor and GE controller averages 13-15mph).

So without much twisting of the arm, she agreed to kinda go all in on a motor upgrade.

I purchased the Plum Quick Street Riot motor and the 600A Navitas TSX 3.0 controller

Im pretty confident I can hook this thing up successfully, the guys at Plum Quick said its pretty much plug and play.

Im just having a really hard time finding much information about wiring this thing up on a G19... seems most people have G22/G29/Drive/etc.

Does anyone have any insight as to how easy/difficult this would be for a guy with a garage full of tools needed, some handy skills, and a decent background in electronics? Are there any major roadblocks anyone here has run into with this combination on this particular cart model?

Also, Solenoid. Can I run this thing on the stock Solenoid at least temporarily? And when an upgrade becomes a necessity, 400Amp is good I hear? Are there any better alternatives?

Would upgrading the cables be necessary and/or an improvement? The cables that are in the cart are fairly new. Probably about as old as the batteries in it (roughly a year old).

I guess that leads me to another question, obviously I would LOVE to get LiFePO4 batteries in there but thats an expense that will have to wait for another day. Is a setup like this even viable on standard 1+/- year old 48v Lead Acid Batteries?

I've attached some pictures of the cart / controller (dont mind the dirty undercarriage, she needs a bath after having some fun in the mud) and the wiring diagram for this model.

Thanks in advance you all for any advice you all may have.

Sincerely,

"The last person on the planet who wants to upgrade a G19 apparently" =)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230107_165000.jpg (142.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20230516_211412.jpg (191.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20230516_205001.jpg (197.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20230516_205041.jpg (195.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20230516_205028.jpg (188.3 KB, 0 views)
yamahag19kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2023, 02:10 PM   #2
cssnms
Getting Wild

Default Re: New Buggy Addict - Needs help with G19 Motor/Controller Upgrade

You need to upgrade the selenoid and battery cables.
cssnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 02:39 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Should be fairly plug and play but with the new 600 amp controller you probably need 2ga cables and an hd solenoid.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 04:06 PM   #4
yamahag19kc
Not Yet Wild

Thank you guys for the info. Any recommendations on a Solenoid? Any Heavy Duty 400A Solenoid should do?

Also any idea how much drain this amount of amps will have on the batteries? Will it be mildly noticeable in approximate range before charge starts to die? Or will I basically be able to go up the street and back before needing a charge again?

Like I said I would really like to get some LiFePO4 batteries in there but they are just so expensive and after this motor and controller upgrade, money being put towards this golf cart is gonna be put on hold for a little while.
yamahag19kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 05:09 PM   #5
cssnms
Getting Wild

Contact Scottyb sponsor here at Carts Unlimited and he'll set you up.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/

Drain will be determined by usage and if your driving around at full throttle everywhere you go. Ah of your current batteries will also determine your range. The higher the Ah's the longer range you will have.
cssnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha