lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2023, 07:25 AM   #1
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Temperature sensor connection?

I have a couple of questions regarding the BMS temperature sensor on a Nissan Leaf Lithium battery pack.

I am interested in HOW the temp sensor has been attached to the battery pack by some of those that are experienced with building their own packs, with a BMS that provides a temp sensor. Presently, I have the sensor stuck to the lithium pack using nothing more than a piece of electrical tape. Looking for some suggestions.
Can a loose temp sensor cause the BMS to cut power if the sensor is loose?
I am attempting to trouble shoot my Nissan Leaf lithium battery pack build on my wife's Yamaha golf cart. Yesterday, I drove the golf cart approx 5 miles, stopping at stop signs and one traffic light. No problems until I reached the 5 miles and stopped to make a phone call. Then when I attempted to start again, it had no power at all; no lights, no reverse buzzer, nothing. After conferring with PAT911 via this forum, we discovered the MOS lights were off on the BMS. I used the app to reset the BMS and I had no problem until I stopped near my home to pick up the mail and the same thing happened. I reset the BMS and drove home. Otherwise the GC runs great.
I am exploring the idea that the temp sensor has something to do with the power outage. The battery and the BMS showed no temp change to the touch, both being cool to the touch even after running the cart hard. The wires/cables were not warm either.
Again, I only have the temp sensor taped to the battery pack.
Suggestions?
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2023, 08:22 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Temperature sensor connection?

I have two Leaf carts - no temp sensors. Back when I built them and designed my own BMS, nobody was putting a temp sensor in. It's not a bad idea though. With a large pack, I'm not sure there is one good place to put one. If one cell was going bad, it could be way away from the temp sensor.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 08:38 AM   #3
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I have two Leaf carts - no temp sensors. Back when I built them and designed my own BMS, nobody was putting a temp sensor in. It's not a bad idea though. With a large pack, I'm not sure there is one good place to put one. If one cell was going bad, it could be way away from the temp sensor.
Got any idea why he MOS would cut off after riding a little while? I don't know anything about the MOS on the BMS.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:45 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Not sure what you mean by the MOS.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:00 AM   #5
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by the MOS.
On the DALY BMS cell phone app, there are what appear to be two switches that are labeled MOS discharge and MOS charge. Normally the lights on the app appear to be green as in lit up. When the power goes off on the cart, the switches are gray as in the OFF position. When I reset the app, the MOS lights up green again and I have power to the cart. When I took a drive yesterday and stopped after five miles, I had no power to the cart until I reset. Same thing happened when I returned home, first stopping to pick up the mail....no power to the cart. The only thing I noticed on the BMS app was the MOS was gray as in off.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:10 AM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I would guess that they are referring to the power devices that disconnect your battery in the two conditions: Charging - something wrong, Discharging- something wrong. Unless it tells you why it shut down the MOS (Metal Oxide Semiconductor?) switch, I don't know how to diagnose it. Usually it's over current or under voltage on a cell.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:18 AM   #7
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
I would guess that they are referring to the power devices that disconnect your battery in the two conditions: Charging - something wrong, Discharging- something wrong. Unless it tells you why it shut down the MOS (Metal Oxide Semiconductor?) switch, I don't know how to diagnose it. Usually it's over current or under voltage on a cell.
I wonder if the golf cart regen would have anything to do with it. I was running the cart hard all the way. The regen would actually slow the cart when I put the pedal all the way to the metal. Would there be enough regen amps to effect it enough to shut the BMS down? It wasn't overcharging the battery. The battery charge went down to 53.7 volts by the time I finished the ten mile run.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:18 AM   #8
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
He has his own thread where he had other information and was talking to Pat about it. The BMS indicated no faults
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 09:20 AM   #9
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
I wonder if the golf cart regen would have anything to do with it. I was running the cart hard all the way. The regen would actually slow the cart when I put the pedal all the way to the metal. Would there be enough regen amps to effect it enough to shut the BMS down? It wasn't overcharging the battery. The battery charge went down to 53.7 volts by the time I finished the ten mile run.

You said the bms MOS turns green when ignition is on and grey when off. When you had the weird fault where it didnt clear till you reset the BMS. How does the BMS know the state of the ignition?
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 09:30 AM   #10
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
You said the bms MOS turns green when ignition is on and grey when off. When you had the weird fault where it didnt clear till you reset the BMS. How does the BMS know the state of the ignition?
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant that the MOS was lit when the cart had power and not lit when the cart did not have power. Didn't have anything to do with the ignition being on as far as I know. When the power went off, I had the ignition on. I had no turn signals, no lights, no horn, no power to the cart period. Pat911 asked me about the MOS on the app and that's when I first noticed it showing "off" or no longer green. I used the app to reset the BMS and immediately had power. It happened twice, once when I stopped at a Walmart parking lot to make a call and once on the way home when I stopped to pick up my mail.
I am kinda wondering if it has anything to do with the Yamaha golf cart Regen, since I drove it pretty hard while I was testing it. Although, the battery pack, BMS and cables were cool to the touch, not warm at all.
I drove it once last week with my wife in it and drove about five miles without stopping and had no problems with it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha