lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2023, 09:09 AM   #1
Matty_BadBeef
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Club Car Tempo - Switch to Lithium?

Hello! I have a 4-year-old Tempo and, well, let's just say I didn't care for the lead/acid batteries the way I should've this off-season. I had to replace one because it had completely failed. I only did one to buy some time as I figure whtehter I will be upgrading to Lithium batteries.

Without scolding me for the mistakes I've made in the past, I'm looking for help on this conversion. I don't know much... probably just enough to get me in trouble!

My current setup is a 48v system. I have (6) 8v lead/acid units. I am wondering how "drop in ready" this conversion will be? I understand I'll need a new charging unit, but want to know what else I might not be considering? Will my battery indicator work with the new lithium system? How about my programmer/controller? I just don't want to order $2k worth of batteries and then come to realize I need more "stuff!"

I also understand the benefits will be increased battery life, improved charging time, and amp hours, but am I missing any drawbacks? Will speed be affected? Anything else?

I know there are lots of threads on here with this info, but it is hard to find all in once place (or at least I haven't yet!) And some of the info must be more recent, I imagine. Not looking for any brand reccomendations, as I can easily search some of the other threads that speak to that. Unless, of course, you feel compelled to suggest someting!

THANK YOU very much. I appreciate this community of like-minded (or interested) people!
Matty_BadBeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2023, 03:46 PM   #2
ClibbinsKing
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Club Car Tempo - Switch to Lithium?

Following
ClibbinsKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 04:11 PM   #3
Cutlass476
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

From what I have researched, I personally think there are two options that out shine the others based upon cost, overall performance, weight reduction, and customer service.

I am assuming that you have what is referred to as a Class 1 cart, i.e., you are baically stock. Class 2 is a HiPo DC, Navitas (AC), or Silverwolf-Teekon (AC) setup.

Epoch batteries are 48v - 30Ah each. You can put together a 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 battery config based upon your range needs. The 3 battery setup is 90 Ah and is more than enough for anyone with a Class 1 cart and for most people running a Class 2 setup. Price is very attractive, as there is a 10% discount code ("Fentertainment") that will get you the 3 battery kit for ~$2,400. (total weight ~ 90lbs (30lbs each batt)).

UNO battery is next. A single 48v-90Ah, 48 lb. battery. Super simple install and about the same range at the Epoch 90Ah setup.

Keep in mind, these are 30 mile setups running on a Class 2 cart (Navitas 5kw-600 A system).

Both of these batteries are made in the USA, hence, my preference. I have heard great things about EB Eco too, but they are overseas.

I hope this helps.
Cutlass476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 04:26 PM   #4
Norm's Carts
Not Yet Wild

You should look into Big Battery Eagle kits as well, You can start with two 30 AH cells and upgrade as you feel. comes with charger and buss bars etc.... Ive installed 7 or 8 of these kits...and things are going well !!
Norm's Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 09:15 AM   #5
Cutlass476
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The Big Battery form factor is nearly identical to Epoch.
Cutlass476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:19 PM   #6
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Has anyone considered the battery BMS module limitations with these? If they claim 30amp continuous draw, and you have 3 of the batteries, does that eqaul 90 amp continuous draw from controller/motor?
I installed a 48v 100AH with what was claimed to be a 100amp max continuous draw BMS that kept cutting out during heavy acceleration.

Does anyone know specifics on BMS Specs for specific kits or applications?
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 06:32 AM   #7
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownblue View Post
Has anyone considered the battery BMS module limitations with these? If they claim 30amp continuous draw, and you have 3 of the batteries, does that eqaul 90 amp continuous draw from controller/motor?
I installed a 48v 100AH with what was claimed to be a 100amp max continuous draw BMS that kept cutting out during heavy acceleration.

Are you refering to the Epoch batteries in general or did you install some other brand?

Also looking at the picture of your cart and the terrain its on its not a surprise that a cart that large with a lift and that size tires coupled with the off road terrain was causing it to trip.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 07:59 AM   #8
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownblue View Post

Yes if wired in parallel the bms current add up. my cart with a stock motor and 20" wheels draws like 130amps on acceleration on flat ground with just me in it and an 80lb battery.. 100amps is enough for some people though lots of factors to consider.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:44 PM   #9
yamahag19kc
Not Yet Wild

Hello,

Semi-new to the golf cart scene - I've had some old junk carts back in the day that I never really invested money into them - just rigged them up long enough to keep running (though sometimes, barely).

This is my first real "investment" cart.

I recently went down the rabbit hole for LiFePO4. Here's what I got coming (yet to install it) just wanted to see if any of you recommended / saw something(s) I may have missed and/or done wrong, or if this install/conversion will be fairly plug-n-play:

Cart = 1999 Yamaha G19 which was pretty much garage kept its whole life by an older man and is in pretty good shape for 24 years old.

Battery Pack = Big Battery Falcon Elite - LiFePO4 - 48v - 61Ah - 3.1kWh

Controller = Navitas TSX 3.0 600a controller with on the fly controller

Motor = Plum Quick Street Riot 48v Sepex - 19 Spline - 16 HP - 25-31mph estimated with 70% torque increase

48v Solenoid

2 gauge wiring throughout

I've been doing my research but am scared to death given the amount of money I've dropped into this project that I may have missed a crucial part or something similar. Can anyone shed some light as to if I'm headed in the right direction?
yamahag19kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:31 AM   #10
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

I recommend you start your own thready for this post. Not only can this post be considered potential thread jacking (Against forum rules) it also muddies this thread with the responses this post could garner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahag19kc View Post
Hello,

Semi-new to the golf cart scene - I've had some old junk carts back in the day that I never really invested money into them - just rigged them up long enough to keep running (though sometimes, barely).

This is my first real "investment" cart.

I recently went down the rabbit hole for LiFePO4. Here's what I got coming (yet to install it) just wanted to see if any of you recommended / saw something(s) I may have missed and/or done wrong, or if this install/conversion will be fairly plug-n-play:

Cart = 1999 Yamaha G19 which was pretty much garage kept its whole life by an older man and is in pretty good shape for 24 years old.

Battery Pack = Big Battery Falcon Elite - LiFePO4 - 48v - 61Ah - 3.1kWh

Controller = Navitas TSX 3.0 600a controller with on the fly controller

Motor = Plum Quick Street Riot 48v Sepex - 19 Spline - 16 HP - 25-31mph estimated with 70% torque increase

48v Solenoid

2 gauge wiring throughout

I've been doing my research but am scared to death given the amount of money I've dropped into this project that I may have missed a crucial part or something similar. Can anyone shed some light as to if I'm headed in the right direction?
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!