lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2023, 12:34 PM   #21
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Trojan 48V lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean31 View Post
I do know they are comprised of cylindrical cells. There are quite a few manufacturers in South Korea also making these. Not just China
Wonder if they are using headway cells
jasonojordan is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2023, 12:44 PM   #22
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I use Sony and Samsung 18650's in some of my model airplanes. My Ebike 48V battery is made from Samsung 18650 cells in I think 14S/4P config.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 10:06 AM   #23
buggycrazy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
The only golf cart batteries I know discussed here that arent lifepo4 are UNO packs.. Good point about the trojan name however you never really know these days. Especially when theres a technology shift. Ive got a defunct Polaroid digital camera to prove it. I wish they would eleborate on their triple safety marketing jargon... I know one level of safety would be the charger shutting off at the correct voltage, the second is the bms shutting off once the cells reach 3.65v or are over discharged but whats the third?

Edit* I posted before I read all the comments and forgot about some of the big battery offerings that are nmc although they sell lifepo4 too.

These trojans appear to be like the epoch batteries I posted a link too last week. same type of layout... I wonder if trojan actually assembles them or if they are yet another rebranded chinese battery.. does it say? It mentions nothing about it that I can find on thier website just that they advertise the US office as the "world headquarters" and now theres a link to the Chinese trojan / c&d technologies partner website...which is likely the manufacturer. they have a lot of certifications. more than Ive ever seen from competitors.
The lithium GC2 is assembled in their Los Angeles factory.
buggycrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 10:11 AM   #24
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggycrazy View Post
The lithium GC2 is assembled in their Los Angeles factory.
This is good to know, thanks.. I still wonder whos actual batteries/cells they use inside the assembled pack (example are they headway or some other manufacturer) or perhaps the sister company in china they teamed up with supplies them. I prefer a lower cells count (16s) to multiple cells in a multi parallel / series bms configuration which has more reliability weakness by design.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 12:13 AM   #25
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean31 View Post
Installed (3) 48V 30Ah trojan lithium in my RXV. Started with (2) but the current demand at takeoff was causing the BMS to shut down. (3) worked like a charm. Acceleration is great as you would imagine (a little over 300lbs. lighter) and range is fantastic so far. If you have the Lester Summit 2 charger you can upload the profile to charge these (22762). I chose Trojan over others due to the amount of safety built in.
I made the post below over in the CC Lithium section before I saw this thread.

Ironically, I had lunch today with a long time Trojan Regional Rep who was touting their 30AH 48v Lithium batteries and he told me something very strange (and amazing if true) about this product.

Rep said that their 48v 30AH batteries were really 75AH batteries. Rep said Trojan was very conservative with their ratings and that their lower AH ratings were there because their Batts were UL approved and had stricter guidelines.

Though I was (and still am) somewhat confused and circumspect, I was very polite as I have known this person a long time. I asked for either some official engineering/test data from Trojan to reflect that 75AH rate from a stated 30AH battery OR to allow me to come to the Trojan warehouse and load test myself. The rep told me that Trojan could/would provide one or both of these.

I asked multiple times if this was about peak capacity or if this was some kind of (made up) SLA equivalent rating. I was assured it is a true 75AH rating, meaning that this 30AH rated battery could give 75 amps for one hour (I asked that specifically).

Note, this is TROJAN'S representation, NOT mine. I am not pushing Trojan Lithium batteries, just sharing what I was told and I will also share any official engineering data I get and/or results of the load test if allowed.

If this is true, seems like it would be a game changer. However, I am skeptical and hoping someone here might be able to shed some additional light on this issue.
rockfordpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 12:43 AM   #26
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Someone is talking crap (or is confused/misinformed) as they are physically too small to have all that stored energy. Maybe he meant they can supply 75A continuously, that would mean they’re using 2.5C (or 3C conservative) cells. More likely.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 06:26 PM   #27
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Someone is talking crap (or is confused/misinformed) as they are physically too small to have all that stored energy. Maybe he meant they can supply 75A continuously, that would mean they’re using 2.5C (or 3C conservative) cells. More likely.
Nothing to see here. Heard back from the Trojan rep, you are correct, the rep was confusing continuous amps with Amp Hours. I originally asked that question specifically and was assured it was Amp Hours, but they corrected it to continuous amps. Honestly, in that context, a little underwhelming LOL.
Old 05-27-2023, 08:58 AM   #28
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
Nothing to see here. Heard back from the Trojan rep, you are correct, the rep was confusing continuous amps with Amp Hours. I originally asked that question specifically and was assured it was Amp Hours, but they corrected it to continuous amps. Honestly, in that context, a little underwhelming LOL.
More Info direct From Trojan on their Lithium Batt. Specs.

*INFO ON OUR UPGRADED BATTERIES AND FAQ*:

These are made in USA with only the cells being from China and have been upgraded—6-year N/C replacement and 2-year pro rate(8 Year total) warranty—backed by us here in the US at Trojan!

*Surge Amps - means you’ve just pushed the throttle on the application to the max it can go or “floored it”…typically you will only see these amps for 2-5 seconds.

(Our max surge amp or instantaneous discharge is 150 Per battery you install. So, a (two-battery)set up for example could do NO more than 300amps without shutting down)

*Continuous amps – or Continuous discharge amps is probably the most common question you will get and that is when you press the throttle fully on a golf cart or other application and are driving for 20-30secs straight without letting off full throttle…its basically when the initial surge amps wear off an level out if you will. The average stock fleet golf cart at course will pull 56amps continuously for example, and a cart with lights, accessories, and a high-speed motor at 25-28 mph will run around 90amps continuously on flat ground area.

(Our continuous amps were at 45amps per battery but now with the new update they will be 75amps per battery so two batteries will accept 150amps continuous and 3 batteries will accept 225amps and so on.

Our continuous was 45amps per battery but is now changed to 75amps per battery this is set to a 30 second timer so if you have a 2-battery set up for example and it is seeing 151 amps for 30secs the Battery Management System or BMS inside the battery WILL shut the battery down to protect the cells from going over the cell spec of amps. If you run 151 amps for 20 secs and then go back below 150amps for a second or two the 30sec clock will start again…so it can be tricky sometimes. A person can stop at a stop sign every 20secs in their neighborhood and never realize their carts batteries are undersized for their application until they maybe trailer the cart elsewhere where they can go full speed for 30secs without letting off the throttle and then think they have a battery problem months down the road.

Other Changes to the battery with 1.3 update:

*Automatic storage mode while at “Idle”

(the idle range for a cart or application just sitting not doing anything but drawing parasitic load)

They’re increasing it in our settings from 0.15A to 0.50A acceptance per battery installed.

Also changing it from 30 days of none use to 4 days of not being used to go into sleep mode.

Also applying storage mode activation in 7 hours at less than <25% SOC.

*State Of Charge Monitoring during storage mode

This will allow the gauge to have a better and more accurate state of charge reporting when waking up the battery installed of defaulting to the famous “68%”. It will also allow you to view state of charge while in storage mode.

*Low Voltage Wake Up

Maintains voltage to the battery terminals when waking the battery up from a low state of charge alarm allowing enough time (1 minute or so) for the charger to kick on and charge the battery instead of using a jumped wet cell charger or hooking in parallel another good lithium battery to wake it up.

*LED Display feedback for storage mode

When entering or exiting storage mode the LED display will flash to confirm the process was completed successfully.
Old 05-27-2023, 05:13 PM   #29
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Good specs!

Quote:
These are made in USA with only the cells being from China
Just like many other premium lithium batteries. Ummm…the cells are the major component. So assembled in USA then?
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 06:10 PM   #30
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Where is the BMS made???????
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO