lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2023, 06:01 AM   #1
baluminum
Not Yet Wild

Default Roypow charger behavior question

My charger stopped charging last night. Have a 2014 precedent with a S51105 roypow battery/charger. I am not sure if the charger is bad or if something in the battery is not triggering the charger.

Can someone take a look at their charger when unplugged from the battery and plugged in to the wall, does the LED indicator do anything? I have not paid attention to the indicator previously. When I plug my charger in (while disconnected from the battery), nothing. No LED, no noise.
baluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2023, 08:37 AM   #2
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Roypow charger behavior question

I have no experience with RoyPow, but double check to make sure you have power to the charger. I've been called out twice to people saying their carts won't charge and found the extension cords had been pulled out of the socket.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 09:28 AM   #3
sleeplesstwo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I don’t have one in front of me at the moment, but I believe that when you plug it in to 110, the charger flashes red green red green. When you connect it to the battery, it will change to flashing green (charging) you will hear a click and the fan starts. The state of charge meter will begin to move across starting with the lowest level of charge bar, then moving sequentially to the highest bar when charging.
DaveMJ is absolutely correct. The majority of issues I have seen is that they are not plugged in completely on the 110 cord, or the twist lock adapter has a connection issue in the pins.
I did replace a charger recently that would just power up and never start charging. Just sitting beside the cart not charging, it was getting pretty warm..
sleeplesstwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 09:53 AM   #4
AquaLuke
Getting Wild

I am not near mine right now but I have had an issue where the charger didn't start charging when I plugged it in. I ended up unplugging the charger from both the cart and the wall, cycling the battery from off to on then back to off, plugging the charger cable into the battery, then plugging the charger into the wall and it seemed to reset. I haven't had an issue since. I have an S51160P.
AquaLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 09:54 AM   #5
AquaLuke
Getting Wild

I will check on the LED behavior when I go home for lunch and I will report back this afternoon.
AquaLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:18 AM   #6
baluminum
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the replies.

I've tested the cord with a multi-meter and can confirm that am getting power from the wall to end of the extension cord.

Battery showing voltage at twistlock connection, so no breaks there.

I was getting very low voltage (12 down to 7's when I removed the leads) from the output of the twistlock connection, but it was steadily dwindling down as I kept my leads there, likely pulling stored energy from capacitors.

I am leaning towards dead charger as absolutely nothing happens when it is plugged in to the wall or when connected to the battery.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:39 PM   #7
baluminum
Not Yet Wild

Follow up. It was the charger. Brought it to a shop here, they tested on their carts, nothing. Bought one from them, plugged it in to mine, works perfectly. And yes, status lights blink when plugged in to wall.

Thanks again!
Old 05-05-2023, 01:19 PM   #8
sleeplesstwo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Glad you're back in business. You might reach out to RoyPow about warranting your charger.
sleeplesstwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 01:31 PM   #9
baluminum
Not Yet Wild

Bought the cart second hand a year ago, had the battery and charger with it. No receipt, no idea when the system was purchased. I'll keep the receipt on this one though. :D
Old 05-05-2023, 02:04 PM   #10
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by baluminum View Post
Bought the cart second hand a year ago, had the battery and charger with it. No receipt, no idea when the system was purchased. I'll keep the receipt on this one though. :D
I would still reach out. Worst thing they can say is no.
jasonojordan is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car