lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2023, 10:21 AM   #1
Bbbbrass
Not Yet Wild

Default Precedent 2008.5 regen question

Hi all,

I recently completed a battery build for a friend.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...86#post1940386

Upon driving I notice it is not regening. Cart was brought with melted lead-acids and I had not tested it before doing this. It has the original Curtiss controller 1510A-5251, and an Admiral MOT-A2 motor.

When I redid the wiring and removed the OBC I added thicker cables to the controller and solenoid, but did not alter motor wires. I was left with 10AWG negative wires with bullet connectors on them, one male and one female. I did not connect these together, or to anything. Before I open the cart back up, and idea what needs to be connected on this cart to make regen occur?

Thanks!
Bbbbrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2023, 05:53 PM   #2
FL3TCH L1V3S
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Precedent 2008.5 regen question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbbbrass View Post
Hi all,

I recently completed a battery build for a friend.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...86#post1940386

Upon driving I notice it is not regening. Cart was brought with melted lead-acids and I had not tested it before doing this. It has the original Curtiss controller 1510A-5251, and an Admiral MOT-A2 motor.

When I redid the wiring and removed the OBC I added thicker cables to the controller and solenoid, but did not alter motor wires. I was left with 10AWG negative wires with bullet connectors on them, one male and one female. I did not connect these together, or to anything. Before I open the cart back up, and idea what needs to be connected on this cart to make regen occur?

Thanks!
It probably has a speed magnet that disables regen. How fast does it go?
FL3TCH L1V3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 05:51 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Admiral MOT-A2 does have a speed magnet. Regen will not work with the stock controller. If you want regen you’ll need an alltrax.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 01:54 PM   #4
Bbbbrass
Not Yet Wild

It does 24mph.

What I find interesting is this model specifically says "regen."

https://www.golfcart.com/pc_product_...1D3AFB8F8B7182
Old 05-24-2023, 02:06 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The motor is capable of regen yes. But not with the stock controller.

There’s a sensor on top the motor that senses revolutions of the motor (rpm). The stock magnet has 8 poles, 4 north and 4 south. So that is interpreted by the stock controller to limit speed to 12mph, 17mph, whatever.

The speed magnet available for the stock motor and that’s also in the admiral is a 4 pole magnet.

This is interpreted by the stock controller as seeing half the actual speed, essentially bypassing the speed limiting function of the stock controller. This is how you go past that factory set 12mph. When you’re doing 12mph it sees 6mph. When you’re doing 24mph it sees 12mph.

Now the regen really only kicks in with stock setting around 12-13mph. So… if you get the cart doing 25-26mph and let off the pedal it will regen brake briefly and then release the regen at around 24mph. No regen at all below that speed. This is all regulated by the controller not the motor

If you want regen back, you have to upgrade controller to an alltrax. And then you can set the alltrax to read the 4 pole magnet and configure the regen to work as little or as much as you like. (Heavy regen, light regen, regulate amperage, etc.).
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 02:32 PM   #6
Bbbbrass
Not Yet Wild

Got it, thanks! Really appreciate the clarification. I've only used stock motors and controllers, so this was confusing me and making me doubt my wiring.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car