lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2023, 08:56 AM   #11
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Yamaha 48v charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Please tell us WHICH PLUG you replaced. The one to the wall or the one to the cart???
Also, the model number of the charger. Not all Yamaha chargers are the same. And Neither plug is 2 wires on my Yamaha chargers. The one to the cart is Three wires (+, -, and sense) and the one to the wall is three wires (L1, L2, GND).
I’ll let you know when I get home. The plug I replaced as stated above is the 2 WIRE PLUG FROM THE CHARGER TO THE CART.
Vinny73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2023, 08:59 AM   #12
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Please tell us WHICH PLUG you replaced. The one to the wall or the one to the cart???
Also, the model number of the charger. Not all Yamaha chargers are the same. And Neither plug is 2 wires on my Yamaha chargers. The one to the cart is Three wires (+, -, and sense) and the one to the wall is three wires (L1, L2, GND).
So I have an older g8 but on mine there are only 2 wires going to the cart. In the carts female plug theres a switch button that once fully pushed in when the plug is fully seated, allows continuity from the positive and negative terminals to the battery and also disables the cart from being used. unless this switch is activated, my charger does nothing.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:03 AM   #13
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny73 View Post
I’ll let you know when I get home. The plug I replaced as stated above is the 2 WIRE PLUG FROM THE CHARGER TO THE CART.
I dont see where you pointed that out anywhere before now either.. No need to yell. We are only trying to better understand what you did you help you figure out whats wrong.

My current charger has a 2 wire plug at each end...
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:30 AM   #14
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny73 View Post
I took the 2 wires out of the plug and put them straight into the cart receptacle. Still nothing happened.
This is the closest I see of him "telling us" what end of the charger plug was replaced.

Sounds like Auggie has some experience potentially with his era of cart and how the charging circuit works. I too do not believe in coincidence when it comes to a working device no longer working after changes were made no matter how basic and mundane the change is.

Is the replacement end a OEM end? If not could lack the piece that actuates the switch Auggie referenced. Also what kind of "damage" did the plug end have on it that necessitated it be changed out? Possible it shorted out before it was replaced?
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:41 AM   #15
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

What cart model? I was assuming it was a YDRE which has a three wire cord to the cart. If it's an older cart then I don't have a clue.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 10:28 AM   #16
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

G19
Old 04-28-2023, 10:34 AM   #17
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Vinny,
I am assuming that you have the original Yamaha 48V charger. Also known as a MAC charger or the blue face charger because of the lettering on the front. Would I be correct?
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 10:51 AM   #18
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

My G22 48v charger is 2 wire...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 10:56 AM   #19
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
My G22 48v charger is 2 wire...
They all were 2 wire right up until Yamaha went to the new design incorporating the switching power supply. I miss the days of a real transformer doing the work.

Vinnie's charger probably weighs around 10 pounds, but it was one of the most reliable chargers ever made.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 11:37 AM   #20
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes it is the original blue faced charger. It is very heavy. And it has been very reliable. Hence why I am asking if there is any checks I could do, or if it’s just time to invest in a new one. The coincidence of replacing the plug has me wondering.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha