lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2023, 06:30 AM   #1
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Yamaha 48v charger

I have an original Yamaha charger. 48v 10 amp. It has worked great so far. The other day I changed out the plug on the charger and now the charger doesn't work. Obviously its coincidence because the polarity is correct. When I plug it into the cart, nothing lights up. Are there any preliminary checks I could do to see what may be the issue? Dropping another 400 on a charger isn't in the budget right now. Batteries are about 7 years old but not dead dead. Just low. Any insight or help would be appreciated.
Vinny73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2023, 08:12 AM   #2
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Yamaha 48v charger

Do you really think it coincidentally quit right when you put a new plug on it? The odds of that are very low. Normally with 120v devices , polarity doesnt matter as long as you dont have the ground wire (green) reversed with a neutral...
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:36 AM   #3
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
Do you really think it coincidentally quit right when you put a new plug on it? The odds of that are very low. Normally with 120v devices , polarity doesnt matter as long as you dont have the ground wire (green) reversed with a neutral...
I do because nothing changed. It’s a simple 2 wire plug.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:39 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I don't believe in coincidences. Double check with a voltmeter that power is getting to the charger. I assume you mean you changed the 115V plug and not the charger output plug since you did not say which.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:42 AM   #5
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny73 View Post
I do because nothing changed. It’s a simple 2 wire plug.
Well something did change though... you wired in a new plug .. if one of those wires is not connected well or the wires somehow touched each other due to a residual charged capacitor or something to that effect you could have the situation your in now.. I would in the very least double check your wiring connections just to be sure.. I'm not trying to be argumentative here I am speaking from experience.

why did you change the plug? was the old one damaged and are you sure it worked right before you swapped plugs?

I'm not sure how your charger works but my lester charger does nothing when I plug it in.. It has to be connected to the batteries so it sees a load and then a few seconds later it will kick on and start charging.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:45 AM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

He did not state which charger he has - just said Yamaha. The ones I have (not used since I'm on Lithium now) only had a couple status lights on them and they did not start charging until connected properly to the batteries. And the charge cable was three wires with one used to sense when connected.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:46 AM   #7
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Well something did change though... you wired in a new plug .. if one of those wires is not connected well or the wires somehow touched each other due to a residual charged capacitor or something to that effect you could have the situation your in now.. I would in the very least double check your wiring connections just to be sure.. I'm not trying to be argumentative here I am speaking from experience.

why did you change the plug? was the old one damaged and are you sure it worked right before you swapped plugs?

I'm not sure how your charger works but my lester charger does nothing when I plug it in.. It has to be connected to the batteries so it sees a load and then a few seconds later it will kick on and start charging.
The plug was damaged. The plug is also identified as to which wire goes where. I copied the simple plug installation. The charge also must be plugged into the cart first, once it identifies the action it lights up, and then you plug it into the wall. This is an actual Yamaha charger. Not aftermarket.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:50 AM   #8
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny73 View Post
The plug was damaged. The plug is also identified as to which wire goes where. I copied the simple plug installation. The charge also must be plugged into the cart first, once it identifies the action it lights up, and then you plug it into the wall. This is an actual Yamaha charger. Not aftermarket.
oh so you replaced the plug that goes into the golf cart which has the switch on it... My best guess is if its wired correctly its a defective plug. or its not fully pushing the relay tab in the golf cart receptacle in when seated... at least thats how mine worked on my yamaha before I removed it.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:55 AM   #9
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
oh so you replaced the plug that goes into the golf cart which has the switch on it... My best guess is if its wired correctly its a defective plug. or its not fully pushing the relay tab in the golf cart receptacle in when seated... at least thats how mine worked on my yamaha before I removed it.
I took the 2 wires out of the plug and put them straight into the cart receptacle. Still nothing happened.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:55 AM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Please tell us WHICH PLUG you replaced. The one to the wall or the one to the cart???
Also, the model number of the charger. Not all Yamaha chargers are the same. And Neither plug is 2 wires on my Yamaha chargers. The one to the cart is Three wires (+, -, and sense) and the one to the wall is three wires (L1, L2, GND).
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha