lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2023, 03:13 PM   #1
RJM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Subaru EFI - Fuel pump not priming

Hi all,

I have a 2017 XRT with the Subaru EFI. The fuel pump is not priming when the cart is in Operate with the Key switch on. When you press the pedal, the motor runs but doesn't start. Could this possibly be a fuse? The cart just had a new battery installed and was running fine before. It may have older gas in it, so I'm not sure if that is a factor.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ray
RJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2023, 05:25 PM   #2
RJM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Subaru EFI - Fuel pump not priming

I’m thinking it would not be bad gas or the injector if the fuel pump is not priming?

Or would the pump not prime if the injector or line to it is blocked?
Old 04-25-2023, 07:43 PM   #3
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2017 XRT with the Subaru EFI. The fuel pump is not priming when the cart is in Operate with the Key switch on. When you press the pedal, the motor runs but doesn't start. Could this possibly be a fuse? The cart just had a new battery installed and was running fine before. It may have older gas in it, so I'm not sure if that is a factor.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ray
You did put the battery in correct ? Just need to ask ?
I don't think the engine is running. Its just spinning over.
If all is good you will hear the pump for a few seconds when you turn the key on.
You said the cart was running before the battery was installed. How long ago was that ?
Here is a post just like your issue. Take a look
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=188240

And here

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...njector&page=2

They only used these EFI engines a few years and Subaru pulled out of the small engine department. I hope yours is a simple fix.
The second link shows where you can get a service manual. These carts are set up like the first ECM systems on cars and trucks. OBD1 , where you count the light flashes to get the code. See if you can download the service manual in second link.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 08:41 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Fuses are in a black weatherproof cap near the solenoid. It looks like a wire pigtail with 6 wires to a connector and a black end just kinda hanging out over there.

I've heard of a few of these pumps failing, but it's pretty easy to check voltage getting to the pump. I'd pull the connector off the pump and check that it's getting power when commanded to prime before trying to replace it.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 07:50 AM   #5
RJM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks, guys.

I think it is just turning over from the starter as well. Battery is hooked up correctly. All of this has happened in the last week. The cart was running fine last week but the battery was low, then died. Replaced the battery and now it's not starting, nor do I hear the pump priming. I have 3 carts from the sa same batch that are running fine. On the 3 running carts, you hear the fuel pump prime for 2 or 3 seconds after putting the key to on. This one does not, but the key switch is clearly working.

I have read through the archives and see that people have had injector issues on these, but I'm thinking this is a different issue given that I don't hear the pump priming. I did also run through the EX40 service manual but didn't see anything referencing the pump not priming.

I did pop open that fuse block pigtail next to the electrical box. There were only two fuses in it, both in the outer position, and they were both fine.

Best,
Ray
Old 04-26-2023, 08:02 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Do as Fairtax suggested and check to see if the pump is seeing power. If it is its most likely a faulty pump. If not we need to find out why.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 08:04 AM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM View Post
Thanks, guys.

I think it is just turning over from the starter as well. Battery is hooked up correctly. All of this has happened in the last week. The cart was running fine last week but the battery was low, then died. Replaced the battery and now it's not starting, nor do I hear the pump priming. I have 3 carts from the sa same batch that are running fine. On the 3 running carts, you hear the fuel pump prime for 2 or 3 seconds after putting the key to on. This one does not, but the key switch is clearly working.

I have read through the archives and see that people have had injector issues on these, but I'm thinking this is a different issue given that I don't hear the pump priming. I did also run through the EX40 service manual but didn't see anything referencing the pump not priming.

I did pop open that fuse block pigtail next to the electrical box. There were only two fuses in it, both in the outer position, and they were both fine.

Best,
Ray
Does yours have an oil light on dash ? The one I worked on did and that's how I was supposed to get the codes. The person before me removed the battery cable and that cleared the codes. He said the oil light did blink several times and him not knowing he thought something was wrong with the oil pressure. His was a utility cart. He drove it on the lift and changed the oil. It never ran again after that.

So much for me getting a code. I tried to start it and the fuel pump wouldn't run. I checked for power to run the pump and there was none.

Dealer ended up getting the cart to their shop. It was only a few weeks out of warranty. Lucky for the owner because it was expensive to repair.

I hope that's not the case for you. Let us know if you are getting power to run the fuel pump. My guess is you won't have any but I will wait and see.
Old 04-26-2023, 09:01 AM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

You should see a constant live at the pump on one wire with the ignition switched on and the other wire should show ecu switched ground if all is working as it should. this will be a few seconds to prime the pump and injector line and then i believe on demand as required to keep pressure at around 38 psi. If you are getting the power on one wire but no ground the pump will not work. you can test the pump in this scenario by briefly applying ground to the other wire but you should not leave it on. It is worth checking all inputs to the ECU to make sure everything else is working as it should and as Trig said, you should see a flashing code if the ECU see's a fault. I think the codes are in the engine manual.

There is also a generic wiring diagram in that manual which should help.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:08 AM   #9
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
You should see a constant live at the pump on one wire with the ignition switched on and the other wire should show ecu switched ground if all is working as it should. this will be a few seconds to prime the pump and injector line and then i believe on demand as required to keep pressure at around 38 psi. If you are getting the power on one wire but no ground the pump will not work. you can test the pump in this scenario by briefly applying ground to the other wire but you should not leave it on. It is worth checking all inputs to the ECU to make sure everything else is working as it should and as Trig said, you should see a flashing code if the ECU see's a fault. I think the codes are in the engine manual.

There is also a generic wiring diagram in that manual which should help.
I added to my last post because I had forgot a few things. The problem with getting a code is what happened to the one I worked on. Battery cable was removed therefore the codes were erased. The person that was working on it thought it was low on oil so he changed it. Not sure why he removed the battery cable but he did.

The cart RJM has may have set a code but he said his battery died and it quit. I am wondering why the battery all of sudden died. Maybe not charging. Maybe the battery just went out.
Codes were erased after replacing the battery. My bet is he is not getting power to run the fuel pump. I hope that's not the case. Will wait and see what he finds out. I wish him luck.
Old 04-26-2023, 09:43 AM   #10
RJM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks very much, gents.

The cart is offsite but I will either go there or have someone onsite check for voltage at the fuel pump .

The cart is not showing any code light patterns. It illuminates when the key goes on for a few seconds as usual, then shuts off. It was also not showing anything before it stopped working. I believe it did work for a bit after the battery replacement, then would not restart.

If the pump is not getting power or ground, what could be causing that if the fuses are good?

Best,
Ray
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car