lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2023, 01:20 PM   #1
WranglerSK
Not Yet Wild

Default Needing guidance on installing new piston/cylinder kit

Let's try this again! Accidently closed my last post

Hey folks, you've probably seen me doing some troubleshooting on my 74 HD and I thank everyone for your patience to help.

I ended up having to order a Piston and Cylinder kit, as the old one had extensive wear and it ended up being easier/more accessible to just buy a kit for $500 Cnd.

So here's the deal. I'm a tinkerer, but pistons and cylinders??? This is new territory to me. I'm looking for your guidance/tips/instructions on what to do here so I don't screw it up.

What I know so far:(please jump in if I'm wrong)
1. Clean the head & prep the faces of the block and head for the new gaskets. Achieve this by small abrasive cloth followed by cleaning with brake cleaner.

2. Cylinder needs honing? I'm assuming it'll come with a coat of oil on it, so likely clean using brake cleaner, hone, clean again, then another light coat of 10w30...?
I was going to pick something like this up - https://www.princessauto.com/en/3-ar...t/PA0008243479

3. Check the clearance on the piston rings - Do I get them just started into the cylinder and measure gap that way?
Do I need Piston ring tools, compressor, or any of that stuff? I get it, you can't have too many tools but who knows if/when I'll ever do something like this again...

One rings are on, gap is checked, then coat of oil and assemble? (don't forget gasket between cylinder and block.

4. Install gasket and head, and bolt down - torque spec/process?

5. Reinstall muffler

I also read that you should increase the oil mixture for the first couple tanks to help things out - yes? Go from 1 1/2oz per gallon to....?

Thanks again everyone, I look forward to your words of wisdom.
WranglerSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2023, 01:36 PM   #2
JckDanls 07
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Needing guidance on installing new piston/cylinder kit

To Check ring gap... Yes, put ring down in cylinder and use new piston to square it up in the cylinder. Then use feeler gauges to check gap..

When installing the ring on the piston there will be a little pin in the groove where the ring goes... The ring gap needs to be at this pin so the ring fits in the groove and is flush with the outside of the piston... When sliding the cylinder down over the piston MAKE SURE the gap is still at the pin or the cylinder won't slide on...

Yes, give it a coat of 2 stroke oil when assembling
JckDanls 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 01:42 PM   #3
WranglerSK
Not Yet Wild

Great advice, thank you for your tips, JckDanls!
Old 04-19-2023, 01:55 PM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Cylinders / rings are actually pretty easy and straight forward on these carts. A few things:

Your new cylinder will not need honed. Just install it as-received.

Regarding the ring gap (clearance), that is typically set at manufacturing and you normally don't have to adjust it. That said, this stuff is all made in China and manufacturing mistakes happen. It's always a good idea to check the ring gap during install.

Ring gap needs to be checked in the cylinder. When you install a ring, use a feeler gauge to check gap. Regarding ring installation, there are ring compressors that can be used to seat them in the cylinder. To be frank, I find it easier just to kind of squish them in with my fingers and small screwdriver to "tuck" the ring into the cylinder while working your way around it. It really isn't all that tough to do. For sure you are going to want to oil everything up when you reinstall the cylinder. Any oil will do.

A note, when you remove / reinstall the cylinder you will need to remove the "crankpin" from the connecting rod. The crankpin in what holds the piston onto the rod. Some people lightly knock these out with a hammer and socket that is just a little bit smaller than the crankpin. A better way is to use a C clamp with the socket to press them off and on though. It doesn't take all that much force to remove them.

This is a link to your service manual:

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/colu...63_1980_GS.pdf

Torque specs will be there. Those are important.

I have never heard of a need to add more oil to a newly installed cylinder / piston and have never done it. I would be interested in hearing if anyone has heard of this.

Really, the first time I did a top end I was intimidated as all get out. At the end I was like, "that's all there is to it?" Heck, now I bet I can get one done in under an hour but I probably have done 2 cycle pistons 20 times or so now.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 01:57 PM   #5
WranglerSK
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, Lochlin!
I'll save a few bucks and hold off until parts arrive.

And thanks for the link for the manual, I'll grab the torques and see how it all goes!
Old 04-29-2023, 04:12 PM   #6
WranglerSK
Not Yet Wild

Here's one last question - do you use sealant on the gaskets or not??
Old 04-29-2023, 04:53 PM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerSK View Post
Here's one last question - do you use sealant on the gaskets or not??
I never had the need to use it.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson