lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2023, 08:22 AM   #1
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default First Lifepo4 DIY Project

So, after waiting 3 months for a dirty cheap 100ah lifepo4 battery that never arrived (from China), i've found some nice lithium cells local, 120ah CATL lifepo4 and will start a DIY project. Shouldn't be too hard... Additional, i've ordered a JBD smart bms 200/400a mosfet/vacuum relais for high current and a cc/cv charger. Hoping nothing too bad for the experts I'll be back, if any questions occures.

Btw: continous discharge rate of the 120ah's = 120/240a 60 seconds > 40%+ SOC, should be fine in connection with the Navitas controller.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2023, 08:32 AM   #2
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Default Re: First Lifepo4 DIY Project

I'm no expert but sounds like the making of a good battery.. Make sure the bus bars you get are good for the current you will be passing through them. also compression of the cells if you can do it helps for longevity according to most cell manufacturers. If you dont plan to compress the cells make sure you get bus bars that will allow for expansion and contraction without stressing the annodes/posts.
I took the measurement of the cells and found a used steel enclosure I could stuff them into with pieces of flexible dollar store cutting board as insulation between the cells and a thin piece of plywood to take up the slack so they were snug and couldnt bloat.

you likely can use one of these with your bms as well as long as you got the version that supports both uart and rs485.. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 12:21 PM   #3
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you augie, yes, i'm planing to build a plywood (Multiplex) frame to compress the cells and either cover that frame with plywood or place it in a suitable metal box. I saw some examles for solar storage builds.
Old 04-18-2023, 05:41 PM   #4
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Good choice of components there. Document the build as you go.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 10:56 AM   #5
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

BMS + 300a fuse arrived today. Nice, solid looking part! The standard bus bars unfortunately not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230419_173228.jpg (109.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230419_173211.jpg (112.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230419_172646.jpg (91.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230419_180156.jpg (83.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-21-2023, 12:01 PM   #6
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

you likely can use one of these with your bms as well as long as you got the version that supports both uart and rs485.. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US
I've ordered one of those from AliExpress (12 day shipping) and will make some better bus bars by myself.
Old 06-24-2023, 06:41 AM   #7
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Update:
After playing some time with the lfp pack, now it's finally installed in the cart. Cells were stored in a toolbox, which fits very well in the battery tray, one inch left on each side. Reduced the controller for the test phase to 200amps / 25mph. Most important, no sparks / heat up and no tripping during my first rounds
Nice to see the amps flow in and out while driving (in realtime)! Amps i saw so far between ~ 40 - 112 when accelerating. Nothing critical...
Had ordered a second bms with additional RS485 com port, hoping to run the battery touch screen in parallel ( with UART, either Bluetooth or the monitor is possible ). Biggest problem so far is, to ballance the cells properly. When charging, one or two cells raises up very quickly and running into " cell overvoltage ". As Pat recommended, i've reduced the charging voltage to 56.8 (3.55v p.c.), resp. to 55.2 (3.45v p.c.) now. One cell is still pretty low (no. 5).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230616_173729.jpg (192.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0152.jpg (96.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2023-06-24-12-07-13.jpg (46.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-24-2023, 07:36 AM   #8
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
Update:
After playing some time with the lfp pack, now it's finally installed in the cart. Cells were stored in a toolbox, which fits very well in the battery tray, one inch left on each side. Reduced the controller for the test phase to 200amps / 25mph. Most important, no sparks / heat up and no tripping during my first rounds
Nice to see the amps flow in and out while driving! Amps i saw so far between ~ 40 - 112 when accelerating. Nothing critical...
Had ordered a second bms with additional RS485 com port, hoping to run the battery touch screen in parallel ( with UART, either Bluetooth or the monitor is possible ). Biggest problem so far is, to ballance the cells properly. When charging, one or two cells raises up very quickly and running into " cell overvoltage ". As Pat recommended, i've reduced the charging voltage to 56.8 (3.55v p.c.), resp. to 55.2 (3.45v p.c.) now. One cell is still pretty low (no. 5).
So the solution to keeping the cells balanced for me was using an active balancer and having it turn on and off automatically with a voltage switch. Off grid garage did a video on the a few month ago.

So far I have not needed to connect my cart to a charger at all while at our seasonal campground. As I predicted it charges off the solar panel and charges back to 99-100% in short order. Even though we cover it when not there.
Old 06-24-2023, 07:38 AM   #9
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Looks good btw. Glad you got it built
Old 06-24-2023, 09:13 AM   #10
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
Looks good btw. Glad you got it built
Thank you sir! I've just found an 4A active balancer (NEEY) at AliE..., 5 days delivery from Poland. But that means, another 20 wires to attach...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO