lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!
Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's! Side x Sides, ATVs, Quads, Bikes, Jeeps, 4x4, and everything else.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2023, 06:44 AM   #21
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: A FLA to Lithium question for you engineers out there

That’s good to hear Dave…hope insurance covers it for you.

That’s none for three on the spoking. Are there any amateurs out there actually succeeded in spoking up a rim?
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2023, 10:06 AM   #22
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Spoking responses.....likely just crickets!!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 06:48 AM   #23
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Just for fun....and to continue a discussion on matters that I likely know enough to be "dangerous", I visited the power mobility "place" and they did have the power device I was initially interested in, but then I was informed that the company who made the equipment had filed bankruptcy and the future of it was unknown.

So, they "steered" me to another device, which I actually "test drove" and was impressed with.

This new device did in fact have a 37V motor (which, from my previous research and experience is what's needed to actually get places without getting stuck) and was a self-contained unit.

From the pic below you can see it is powered by a "12 pack" (at a different time that ment a different understanding!) of 26650 LifeP04 batteries. Each one 3.2V 3.3AH.

So...now the thing is....I start "thinking" of how can I get more out of such a unit? (My wife say's....just use it and when that happens we will cross that bridge!) I can see the circuit board has "stuff" on it for motor overheating, battery pack temp, likely a BMS for those cells, etc.

So...I'm thinking....OK....can I "wire in" a larger AH 36V battery in this unit? Can I have an external 36V battery that charges separately, has it's own BMS, and just "wire" it into the Pos\Neg wires of the board? Leave the 26650's "in there" and all they do is balance themselves, but the circuit board still does its thing ....but the motor itself is powered by an external battery?

Just thinking out loud.

Old 05-11-2023, 07:11 AM   #24
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Dave.

I would be tempted to just try it LOL. Maybe even a second remote battery for main use and switchable back to stock for a backup power supply? Just thinking out loud here like yourself and probably completely wrong as usual LOL. I know even less than you about Lithium power supply and if you think you might be dangerous, just pop over here for a coffee sometime. You will consider yourself not on the dangerous individual list

Follow my Mantra. " what could possibly go wrong?"
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 07:15 AM   #25
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

You could always tow a small trailer with a big Lithium battery on board!

Ok, I will shut up now.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 05:13 PM   #26
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hi Dave,

You’ve got too much time on your hands to think….

Let’s see, you could do a couple of things, leave the pack in place and connected and parallel an external pack to increase range but also have the original setup for travel. (Smaller, lighter etc.) Only proviso here would be that both packs would need to be at a similar SOC when you connect the second pack to prevent large currents flowing.

Second scenario is as you mentioned, leave the original pack physically in place but swap the main power connectors to a larger pack.

It would be interesting to see what the small red, green and yellow wires do. I would suspect they’re for charging. Another test would be to disconnect the battery and supply the main large red and black cables with 36v power and see if the chair runs. ACTUALLY, you can do that by simply disconnecting that plug as you’ve done, but leave the big red and black connected. That’s your homework Dave, report back here when it’s done.
Old 05-11-2023, 05:35 PM   #27
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Thanks gents! First off…that pic isn’t me. I don’t own this just yet. I took a screenshot from a video that an authorized reseller posted as to how to change the battery.

I could study the video further, but I thought I’d toss out this “what if” question first.

And it’s true…. I do have to much time on my hands….and hey….what could go wrong??
Old 05-11-2023, 08:39 PM   #28
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Well, to answer the “what if”, anything can be done!

You could even just swap out to bigger cells, using the same BMS/electronics.
Old 05-12-2023, 05:27 AM   #29
DaveTM
Gone Wild

So….you’re saying that if I duct taped a bunch (that’s a technical term…”bunch”) of 150AH lithium batteries in a bundle……..
Old 05-12-2023, 06:06 AM   #30
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
So….you’re saying that if I duct taped a bunch (that’s a technical term…”bunch”) of 150AH lithium batteries in a bundle……..
I think the technical term you are looking for is a gaggle of 150AH lithium batteries lol
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!