lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!
Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's! Side x Sides, ATVs, Quads, Bikes, Jeeps, 4x4, and everything else.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2023, 06:24 PM   #11
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: A FLA to Lithium question for you engineers out there

I was also thinking just go 36v but didn’t suggest it as I didn’t want you to blow up any new purchase on my suggestion.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2023, 07:19 AM   #12
DaveTM
Gone Wild

From what I've been reading.....and I can't pinpoint it to any article or website....but the "controller" part of these wheelchairs is the joystick itself. At least for the 24V "models".

And Pat I'm not looking for you or anyone to point a finger at and say "you told me so".....and I certainly understand you or anyone not wanting to say "do this" and it goes BANG.

So, I'm wondering if simply hooking up 36V battery will provide additional torque (that I think is needed) without toasting the little controller or motors. I know for a cart, as long as the solenoid is beefy enough you can run 48V on a 36V "setup" for who knows how long before parts start to fry. I think it then comes down to how you use it. (How many wheelies do you do each day!! )

Of course, going to 36V would require a 36V charger...but that may be an option.

Gotta do more research.....
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 10:21 AM   #13
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Currently raining here so had some time to search. Came up with this https://www.uumotor.com/ws/p/sine-wa...ck-controller/ that looks like it will handle higher voltages.
Old 04-22-2023, 06:39 PM   #14
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yep, it says it will do up to 50v. Now just have to see if the motors can sustain 36v.

Oh, I know you’re not looking to point fingers, and I will give you any reasonable advice I feel may assist, but I certainly won’t tell you to put 36v into a 24v motor/controller setup without first investigating whether or not they will accept the higher voltage. But since you mentioned 36v, let’s investigate it.
Old 04-23-2023, 06:49 AM   #15
DaveTM
Gone Wild

This companies website is a bit cumbersome. But I think I've "found" what I want. This link to their store shows a wheelchair motor that can be bought, which has the options I believe I need. 36V, Brushless, EMB Braking, and they sell the joystick\controller that goes along with it. https://www.uumotor.com/ws/p/built-i...ic-wheelchair/

This link is the "sales cart" part of their website. However, under the "product" part of their website, a customer inquired if they install the motor to a wheelchair spoked rim. The response was they could have that done.

Of course, I would think any local bike shop that does repairs could do such a job...and there's a video that I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OialWggZJo that shows a guy who does wheelchair spoking\rim mounting for a living. At first, he seems a bit creepy....but if you watch the video he's actually quite entertaining.
I don't have the skill "level" to spoke up a rim. (I tried that once when I was a teenager....raced dirt bikes....a thousand years ago. That didn't work out well at all )

However, it appears what I am looking for (a power chair that can actually handle more than flat, paved roads) may be available. After all, I can't see paying $1,000 up to $3,000 for a machine that can't do what I think I need it to do.

So, I'll do more work on the "is this company any good" side of the research.
Old 04-23-2023, 05:12 PM   #16
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Looks like you’ve found what you need. Then just a little 36v pack that has an XT30 or XT60 connector on it and you’re done. Easy to disconnect. Personally, I would go NMC in this application as it will be smaller and lighter than LiFePO4 but the choice is yours.

You could also run it off two series connected 18v power tool batteries. Series is not my usual recommendation but since you would be removing them and charging them individually it won’t be a problem. Airlines may be more sympathetic to mass produced name brand batteries like Milwaukee or Mikita as opposed to a heatshrinked pack of cells from an unknown manufacturer.

I also once tried to respoke a bike rim when I was a kid and like you, it didn’t turn out well. It was buckled as all f#$%.
Old 04-23-2023, 05:16 PM   #17
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Here’s a portable power supply I built based on 2 Milwaukee batteries. It’s based upon a module from AliExpress.

3C28CCDE-ADBD-4D33-9E27-C8C1B11E2710.jpg

E5D42D76-B341-4E32-9B39-82F66D90BFDE.jpg
Old 04-24-2023, 06:11 AM   #18
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Good suggestion with the Lith-Ion battery. Weight is going to be a key factor.

And yes....when you look up the definition of "bent bike rim" that's the one that I did!!!
Old 04-25-2023, 05:17 AM   #19
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Pat, just wanted to update you on this project. Did a bunch more research and came across this item: https://www.alber-usa.com/us/product...chnische-daten

This web site gets a bit "wonky" when I use my MAC, but if you hit that video...nothing happens. If you scroll down just a bit and click the "Product Configuration and Scope of Delivery" tab\+ you will get the details.

This product is (from what I've found) one of only two that are made in Germany. The quality....and the price....reflect this. And the two from Germany are the only two I've found that are 36V. And IMHO, 36V is a must if you want to cross any terrain rougher than a hardwood floor.

In addition, after talking to a good friend who is involved in prosthetic building (I don't need that thank goodness!) I put a call into UPMC (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center) and they believe some, if not all cost could be covered by insurance. (Yay for me!)

So, that's the direction. And believe me, I really appreciate your help and input.
Old 04-25-2023, 06:34 AM   #20
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post

I also once tried to respoke a bike rim when I was a kid and like you, it didn’t turn out well. It was buckled as all f#$%.
lol I had the same experience just trying to straighten a slightly bent rim as I was told it could be done that way... all I accomplished is an even more bent rim.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!