lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2023, 05:53 PM   #1
jaymz
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Not your typical lift question....

My question is probably more curiosity than anything, but I've been kicking around the idea of lifting my DS just a couple of inches for a bit more ground clearance. I know from experience in the automotive world that any variance from factory ride height changes front end geometry. Not always enough to create a problem - but it changes. Lord knows that the steering and ride are already less than ideal. That said, it seems that the biggest benefit to double A arm lifts is that it will allow for camber to be adjusted for better steering "feel". And rumor has it that they ride a bit nicer. My issue is that there doesn't seem to be any kits available unless you want to go +4" or more over stock.

My question is - What "lifts" the cart in these kits?

Is it the spring? The shape of the A arms? Combination of the two?

I'm thinking of purchasing the lowest lift available and see if it can be made to work with the factory spring and maybe a lift block. Of course I may be completely out of my mind because it just won't work. I don't know as I've not ever really looked at the kits that closely, and I don't have access to a lifted cart to look and take notes.

Any knowledge that you all can share will be greatly appreciated.
jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2023, 07:51 AM   #2
Oldspot
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Not your typical lift question....

Normally blocks under the back springs, spindles on the front, or a whole new front.
On an ezgo I did 3 inches on, I cut and welded the front axle wheel bearing mounts lower rejigged the the steering arm cheap and easy
Oldspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 03:41 PM   #3
doo dah
Gone Wild

My Jake's long travel kit is marketed as a 6" but it is really adjustable from almost no lift to 8". My kit is old, maybe 7 or 8 years old so not sure if their current kit is the same but might consider that. Some of it depends on the coilovers you use too, I have Fox Podiums which are pretty good and have stiff springs so I get 6+" of lift. You could go with some shorter shocks with soft coils and have a very nice riding close to stock ride height.
doo dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 07:57 PM   #4
jaymz
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
My Jake's long travel kit is marketed as a 6" but it is really adjustable from almost no lift to 8". My kit is old, maybe 7 or 8 years old so not sure if their current kit is the same but might consider that. Some of it depends on the coilovers you use too, I have Fox Podiums which are pretty good and have stiff springs so I get 6+" of lift. You could go with some shorter shocks with soft coils and have a very nice riding close to stock ride height.
Good to know. Thanks.
jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 06:18 AM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

My Jakes kit is a good 7-8YO as well. It lifted the front....also widened the width....also created a much wider turning radius. OTOH, the increased width allows more stability.

It's a trade off. You want more travel...you gotta go up...you go up, you change the center of gravity (COG) and make the cart less stable. (More top heavy). To compensate, you widen the stance.

Keep going and soon you're driving a CAT D9...
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 08:23 AM   #6
doo dah
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymz View Post
Good to know. Thanks.
Here are a couple pics of mine, you can see the holes for mounting your coilovers in the bulkhead. I welded a plate and new mount to the a arm on mine to give more strength and mounting flexibility.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5209.jpg (193.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5208.jpg (277.8 KB, 0 views)
doo dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 07:22 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Yes, golf carts with lift kits almost always ride worse than factory, with the exception of the Jakes LT. I have seen a few new long travel/double a arm lifts on the market, although I haven't heard too much feedback about them.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 08:49 PM   #8
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

I have a few lifted carts.. The A arm lift kits I have which include a jakes and generic 6" clone for yamahas cant really be adjusted for different ride height without messing up the camber.. I honestly wish the 6" lift on my newest electric cart was a 4" lift instead of 6 because the 20.5" tires would fill the wheel wells better. once the camber and caster are adjusted and the front end is aligned it handles well enough considering the weight distribution is now more unstable. Honestly most carts that are lifted are done so for cosmetic reasons even though it makes them handle a lot worse at the speeds they also then typically see after this.

From a practical standpoint its kinda backwards for many of them but then again larger tires rob power too and so many who install them also dont understand how that works either.. I see the same thing in the 4x4 world where kids put the biggest tires they can afford on their trucks and make them complete dogs that cant get out of their own way and guzzle twice as much gas doing it... I know this first hand because I was one of those kids who did it more than once to multiple jeeps and trucks..
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:40 PM   #9
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
I have a few lifted carts.. The A arm lift kits I have which include a jakes and generic 6" clone for yamahas cant really be adjusted for different ride height without messing up the camber.. I honestly wish the 6" lift on my newest electric cart was a 4" lift instead of 6 because the 20.5" tires would fill the wheel wells better. once the camber and caster are adjusted and the front end is aligned it handles well enough considering the weight distribution is now more unstable. Honestly most carts that are lifted are done so for cosmetic reasons even though it makes them handle a lot worse at the speeds they also then typically see after this.

From a practical standpoint its kinda backwards for many of them but then again larger tires rob power too and so many who install them also dont understand how that works either.. I see the same thing in the 4x4 world where kids put the biggest tires they can afford on their trucks and make them complete dogs that cant get out of their own way and guzzle twice as much gas doing it... I know this first hand because I was one of those kids who did it more than once to multiple jeeps and trucks..
Good post! Seems those of us who actually work with our carts or trucks off road are in the minority. Ever try to put an actual, real load in the box of a stupid lifted pickup?
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 12:59 AM   #10
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Good post! Seems those of us who actually work with our carts or trucks off road are in the minority. Ever try to put an actual, real load in the box of a stupid lifted pickup?
Yes. I have that situation now. A mildly lifted half ton diesel pickup which I need for access to huntng land (or at least thats the excuse I tell myself). I also use the truck to move/haul things Including a 1500-1800lb skid of brewers grain every month. The truck handles it fine. Especially if I use the helper air bags in the rear. However I lost 8mpg on the highway once lifted so if I had to do it again I don't know if I would.. My last truck was lifted more and I broke things trying to haul heavy stuff like a rear shackle. I also went through wheel bearing kind of fast. Which along with faster kingpin bushing wear, is a concern on the carts with extreme offset wheels and spacers too.

As far as my carts, I use them at campgrounds and yes they see some recreational offroading. They spent 90% of thowr time off pavement though, not on it. And my g1 has seen some real rough terrain. The electric cart I just lifted has mild street type tread since it will be used at the girlfriends seasonal site which is flat with no real terrain. I would be lying to myself if I said it needed the lift as much as my other lifted cart
I've also changed rear end gearing in few vehicles to correct fir power losses from larger tires so I have a pretty good idea of the negative effect it has on torque and acceleration as well as added drive train stress.. on a cart the bigger tires will give you a faster top speed on flat ground but you loose ground on everything else such as hauling capability since it like riding a ten speed that's shifted into a higher gear which makes it harder to peddle, even though you aren't pedeling as fast.. that's the best way I can describe it but it wears the engine and components bit faster.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts