lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2023, 11:02 AM   #21
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: BMS wiring mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Anyone have experience with the Daly BMS?
I have a couple camping packs I made with them in there. Nothing special thats for sure.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2023, 02:50 PM   #22
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Much better options than Daly. It works, but configuration parameters are limited. SOC function does not work well as it does not measure currents below 3A or so accurately.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 11:40 AM   #23
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ok, dummy me attempted to wire it wrong and that was the original problem. My photos were so bad, no one noticed my mistake.
I ended up getting what I think is a half decent deal on a Daly 250amp 14s Smart BMS. Since I have a stock 300amp (I think) controller, the BMS is supposed to handle any temp surges the cart may have. I doubt it will ever exceed 200 amps, but who knows. I plan to have the typical external charging on it and will attach an Anderson socket on the cart, below the seat near the original charging socket. That makes the install simple, I think.
Two questions for those experienced folks on here:
Can someone give me some advice on the max charge to set and the setting for the best discharge to shut it down? What I mean is to keep it safe, how high should I charge it and when I am using it, what voltage should I shut it down and start charging? I've read on here where someone says a min. of 20% charge, but what would be considered 20% on these used Leaf batteries? I have been reading the other threads, but they go back for a few years. I know that there have been some revisions since the first guys started DIYing the lithium builds.
Oh, the second(?) question is where do we place the temperature sensor (which is pretty short)? My thought was that it would be attached to the battery pack somewhere, but I can't attach the BMS to the pack. Has anyone come up with a work around?
Once again, thanks for your patience. I usually blame the brain fog on my senior years, but I am sure I would be insulting a few guys on here that might have a couple years on me.
By the way, there is no "C" connection on my BMS.
My wiring plan simplified is (correct me if I am wrong):
-P to charger negative and motor negative
-B to the battery negative ONLY
Battery Positive to charger positive and to motor positive.
When I say motor positive and negative, I am referring to the original cables the went to the old battery packs. Just in case my lack of proper reference confuses anyone.
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 06:58 PM   #24
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Max charge voltage 58.1v (4.15v/cell)
Cell protection over voltage 4.2v
Cell protection under voltage 3.0v
Total pack under voltage 42v (will never get that low in practice as cell under voltage will kick in First.

Get yourself a Renogy 500A shunt SOC meter and you’ll always know in percent your SOC.

Temperature sensor should be on the cells.
Old 04-17-2023, 06:44 AM   #25
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Max charge voltage 58.1v (4.15v/cell)
Cell protection over voltage 4.2v
Cell protection under voltage 3.0v
Total pack under voltage 42v (will never get that low in practice as cell under voltage will kick in First.

Get yourself a Renogy 500A shunt SOC meter and you’ll always know in percent your SOC.

Temperature sensor should be on the cells.
Thank you very much. Exactly what I needed.
Old 04-17-2023, 07:00 AM   #26
DaveTM
Gone Wild

This is a Leaf build pack. That's what mine is.

For this battery I simply never pay attention to the SOC meter. I always look at the "Volts at rest" number. And "at rest" means just let off the go peddle and give it 30 seconds or so.

When my volts drop to 51....it's time to think about where is the nearest plug. When it hits 50V.....I have about "a teacup of gas" left to run a 340-six pack V8.

But, that's what I do.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:24 AM   #27
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

For my Leaf packs (two carts) I built my own SOC meter as part of my BMS. It does a calculation to convert pack voltage to SOC%. It's probably good to better than 5% over the range. Unfortunately, this doesn't work with LiFe batteries.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 02:26 PM   #28
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
This is a Leaf build pack. That's what mine is.

For this battery I simply never pay attention to the SOC meter. I always look at the "Volts at rest" number. And "at rest" means just let off the go peddle and give it 30 seconds or so.

When my volts drop to 51....it's time to think about where is the nearest plug. When it hits 50V.....I have about "a teacup of gas" left to run a 340-six pack V8.

But, that's what I do.
You’re absolutely right there Dave. There’s less then 20% left at 51v and about 6% at 50v. It will drop very quickly after the 50v point.
Old 04-17-2023, 05:04 PM   #29
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Great information!
But, why in the world do they make the darn temperature sensor so short? There is no way that I am going to get it to reach the pack. Anyone have a work around for my problem?
Old 04-17-2023, 05:14 PM   #30
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Dunno why…..you could cut and lengthen the cable.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha