lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2023, 03:14 PM   #11
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: BMS wiring mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
To keep this simple, Lithium batteries need to have a correctly sized BMS used at all times not just during charging.

If one is not present you could over draw from the batteries and create a bad reaction. AKA Fire/Death/Destruction
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2023, 03:31 PM   #12
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I low power BMS can be used if you use a relay to control the main power. When the BMS wants to interrupt power, the relay would open. However, that only works if the BMS is designed to work this way. It has to know the battery current. I doubt that small one can do that.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 03:35 PM   #13
DaveTM
Gone Wild

MDLNB,

I won't comment on the "just using the BMS for charging" as if you did in fact damage the BMS during the install, it may or may not function properly during charging.

My only other comment would be when you get a new BMS that can handle the amps your setup needs, I'd first connect\install the BMS and make sure everything is operating properly, then I'd connect any voltage reducer. I would not connect both at the same time.

FIWI
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 03:37 PM   #14
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

When it comes to the whole amp draw thing there is ohm's law Basically when you're dealing with lower voltages you have to have higher current or Amps delivered to make up for also need thicker wires. When you're charging the battery you're generally doing it with less current than you're pulling out when you're using it. Many of the better chargers are charging with 20 or 30 amps though because it takes a lot longer to charge with a lower power charger.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 04:03 PM   #15
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

My charger starts at 19 amps. My backup charger only does 5 amps.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 04:16 PM   #16
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

I haven’t read this entire thread yet as I’m about to go to work but a 20A BMS is sufficient if the OP follows Sergio’s “Cheap Chinese BMS” thread. I’ll read it better when I’m at work and post a reply in a few hours. I use a 60A (or 80A, don’t remember exactly) with my 21 module leaf pack. BMS just simply disables the key line to shut the cart down.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 04:28 PM   #17
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Same here as i've been on the road working today and haven't had time to really read the first few responses
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 05:29 PM   #18
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

OK, So I've read your first post thoroughly and the responses.

It seems that you have not followed Sergio's thread which is here https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=160302

You have just configured the BMS for charge protection and not discharge protection. You are currently running the cart without discharge protection. Please stop as you will over discharge the pack and permanently damage your Leaf modules. Once over discharged, they will be dangerous and unsafe to recharge. Don't let them get below about 3v each.

Golf carts do draw well over 100 amps peak, sometimes in to the hundreds of amps. It's very different from domestic home wiring because the voltage is lower and the power required is higher.

If you're competent with electrical wiring then you can follow the thread above and use another lower rated BMS or the simpler option is to purchase the one Augiedoggy linked to above and pass ALL current through the BMS. That will give you over charge and over discharge protection.

As to why your BMS was damaged, I cannot figure out why. The connections you said you made were correct, albeit without protection, and should not have damaged the BMS. Are you sure you didn't inadvertently short the battery out with the BMS?

We can help you with the wiring once you figure out which way you're going to go.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:59 AM   #19
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
OK, So I've read your first post thoroughly and the responses.

It seems that you have not followed Sergio's thread which is here https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=160302

You have just configured the BMS for charge protection and not discharge protection. You are currently running the cart without discharge protection. Please stop as you will over discharge the pack and permanently damage your Leaf modules. Once over discharged, they will be dangerous and unsafe to recharge. Don't let them get below about 3v each.

Golf carts do draw well over 100 amps peak, sometimes in to the hundreds of amps. It's very different from domestic home wiring because the voltage is lower and the power required is higher.

If you're competent with electrical wiring then you can follow the thread above and use another lower rated BMS or the simpler option is to purchase the one Augiedoggy linked to above and pass ALL current through the BMS. That will give you over charge and over discharge protection.

As to why your BMS was damaged, I cannot figure out why. The connections you said you made were correct, albeit without protection, and should not have damaged the BMS. Are you sure you didn't inadvertently short the battery out with the BMS?

We can help you with the wiring once you figure out which way you're going to go.
Thank you. Yes, I believe that I DID short out the BMS when I was moving the battery pack into the golf cart. I would like to use the excuse that my spouse had come out into the garage and was talking to me and distracted me enough that the metal cover on the BMS hit the terminal on the battery pack, but I fail to see the benefit of making excuses on this. Fact is that I had a spark occur when the BMS briefly hit the battery pack when I was moving it and I can only "*** u me" that this might be what caused the malfunction. I read over and over again, several BMS install instructions and was sure that I had it right, so the BMS must be damaged.
I will search out Sergio's instructions and see if I can follow them precisely. Gotta admit that the temp setup that I have on there right now, had this thing taking off like it never has before. If it was not for the regen on it, limiting the top speed, I am sure it would have gone over 20mph. But, taking off it acted like a race horse compared to the old lead acid batteries. I assume that it is the additional voltage and the lighter weight.
Thanks again for the assistance. Everyone has been exceptional in their help and patience.
Old 03-31-2023, 10:52 AM   #20
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Anyone have experience with the Daly BMS?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha