lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2023, 08:35 PM   #11
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Need a lithium kit recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteramatt View Post
Correct and isnt 160 continuous amps good?
Yes it is.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2023, 08:40 PM   #12
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
I dont recall a group of anyone telling folks here they need 100ah or better.
I do know the topic of how many amps those 100ah 12v rv/solar batteries actually put out come up all the time. And the topic of how many amps are needed comes up a lot. I use a smaller pack successfully myself as do many here.
Most of us “lithium guys” used to use the 100Ah as a minimum benchmark but that was a while ago now. Nowadays you can get a much lower capacity pack that can still put out the Amps. Not the RV/Solar batteries that you correctly mention.
Old 03-11-2023, 06:54 AM   #13
DaveTM
Gone Wild

When I built my Leaf pack, (2018 ) I was "nervous" about the claims of distance travel along with the performance of the pack.

So, I built a 7 module pack that I think was rated at 60AH. By building my own pack and using a BMS that I could set given parameters, along with using adjustable setting of the Alltrax controller, I could "stretch" the run time of the pack without noticeable performance decrease.

So, two years later (May 2020) I pulled the 7 module pack, bought 7 more packs, and balanced them all together (which is really NOT the recommended way to do it....using modules from different cars) and "shoved" the 14 module pack back in.

I was very impressed with the performance and ease of maintenance of the 60ah pack that I wanted "more" available travel distance. I use my cart primarily for hunting from the fall of the year through February. Cold on a lithium pack has the same effect as FLA's. Even though the 60AH was "enough" for me to hunt, there were cold days that I limited where I went due to concerns that I wanted enough "juice" left to get back. (My wife may dispute that "want to get back" claim).

So, by expanding to the 120AH I had all the power I needed to get where I wanted. Of course....it's the chicken\egg thing. Now that I have 120AH I can see where 150AH+ would be really, really nice!!

So, I always state to buy as much AH as your wallet will let you. You won't regret that decision.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 05:04 PM   #14
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Dave, those Leaf modules were 66Ah when new. I’m assuming they came from a pack that was removed from a vehicle because it was down on range, as mine did. I built my pack using 21 modules and it tested at 120Ah. I confirmed this by testing a single module and it tested at 40Ah, so your 7 module pack was probably closer to 40Ah than 60Ah and you’re now closer to 80Ah than 120Ah as that was the trigger for Nissan to replace the batteries in the Leaf.

I may be making incorrect assumptions though and you may have tested yours at 60Ah.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:39 PM   #15
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Pat, you could be spot on with that. When this pack goes I may look at a drop in. By that time any current bugs will likely be history.
Old 03-11-2023, 08:38 PM   #16
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

I think you’ll be waiting a long time for your pack to fail.
Old 03-12-2023, 05:53 AM   #17
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
I think you’ll be waiting a long time for your pack to fail.
Yeah....I think you're right!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium