lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2023, 10:43 AM   #1
Clemsonprecedent
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Extreme Team 72v 100ah Troubleshooting Help

I have a club car precedent with a 72v 100ah Extreme Team Battery and Navitas AC kit. I had the Navitas controller set to 225 amps max discharge limit since that was the magic number I could run without tripping the BMS (that was a whole other ordeal getting that figured out a couple years ago when I got the battery). Anyway, here's what happened yesterday and what I've tested/discovered so far:

While accelerating, I heard a loud “pop” followed by an electrical burning smell that quickly went away. Everything on the cart quit working after this. Once I lifted the seat I could hear a constant beeping coming from inside the battery pack. I checked the voltage at the battery posts and was getting 78.4 volts (the cart was around 70% charged the best I can remember). I also opened my ANT BMS app and the battery still connected to it via Bluetooth. On the home screen of the app, the only thing that looked different that usual was it said “DisMos error”. It showed the min and max cell voltage was within .05v of each other. Upon taking the battery out of the cart to start opening it up, I found the 400amp fuse I had between my battery and solenoid was blown with black soot around the center sight glass on it. I’m convinced this was the loud “pop” I heard and what I smelled. I continued to take the battery out of the cart and open up the enclosure. Once opened I found this BMS in the attached pictured and the beeping was coming from the bottom left corner along with a flashing red light. I disconnected the main two black leads that feed the eight blue wires coming into the BMS and the beeping stopped. After leaving it unhooked for about 30 minutes I connected the wires back like they were and the beeping never returned. It was again reading 78.4 volts on the main battery output lugs, but now my BMS APP wouldn’t connect to the BMS. I decided to try the battery in the cart again with a new 400a fuse. I hooked the positive from my cart solenoid up first and when I went to tried to connect the negative (B-) from my cart it arched really violently (melted the tip off the battery lug) and I snatched it off right away. However the battery is still reading 78.4 volts.

Does this sound like a bad BMS?

What could've caused the 400 amp fuse to blow like it did?

What would be causing the violent spark when reconnecting the B- wire to the pack from the controller?

Could the battery be acting like it has a dead short, but still showing proper voltage?

Any suggestions on what to try next in this troubleshooting process?

Thanks in advance for all of your help on this. I currently have a $3,500 boat anchor which is very frustrating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3716.jpg (190.4 KB, 0 views)
Clemsonprecedent is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2023, 10:45 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Extreme Team 72v 100ah Troubleshooting Help

Not a bad BMS but a short somewhere in your cart - probably the controller. The fuse is blowing because of the extreme current draw. Battery is probably fine.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 11:06 AM   #3
Clemsonprecedent
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Not a bad BMS but a short somewhere in your cart - probably the controller. The fuse is blowing because of the extreme current draw. Battery is probably fine.
I agree, I’m still troubleshooting the cart side of this as well to rule that out. But what has me confused is the BMS was beeping inside the pack. I’ve tripped this BMS several times in the last from over current draw and it never has beeped like that. I usually just have to unhook the leads from the battery and then reconnect to reset the BMS. Now, I can’t seem to get the battery to “wake up” and connect to the app.
Clemsonprecedent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 11:08 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The dead short before the fuse blew probably triggered the BMS behavior.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:18 AM   #5
875VA
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

when my 48V Extreme Team battery was beeping internally it was a bad BMS. It beeped at a fast rate for 2 weeks before I could replace the BMS. I took the battery apart and unplugged the BMS overnight and plugged it back in the next day and withing a few minutes it would start beeping again.
875VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium