lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2023, 07:15 PM   #1
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Making battery cables

Look for a good quality hydraulic crimper. What do you recommend. The ones I have look up online (Amazon) do not have good reviews. Alot say if you are crimping a 6 gauge wire you first crimp with the 6 gauge die thin repeat with the 4-gauge die. I have manual crimper that sucks!
Goober11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2023, 10:02 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Making battery cables

I got one of the cheapos years ago and quality is.... meh. But it was only like $40.
It works, actually pretty well for 4ga cables, which is mostly what I use it for.

There are various hand crimpers that are probably easier, but are mostly only for 1 or 2 crimp sizes. So you buy two or three different ones if you need to do more than one size cable. I have one that has three sizes in the jaw and use it for aluminum cable swages. I think its a 30" size, and does up to 5/8" swages pretty easy.

If you really want to go all out you could order a $5,000 Gates hydraulic crimper and get all the dies to make hydraulic hoses to help pay for it.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 07:00 PM   #3
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

I will be doing mostly 6 an 4-gauge cables. Hand crimpers are really hard for me to work now.

Ya Gates does make a nice crimper we had one at the shop were I worked. We made all your battery cables, air hoses and hydraulic hoses. May be just a little over kill at this stage of the game for me.

Going to have to do some more searching on line.
Old 02-20-2023, 01:40 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

still live by the shop? maybe dry fit and hire them to crunch them, maybe cheaper than buying crimers.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 02:00 PM   #5
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

You might try a battery shop such as "Battery Wholesale". I had them crimp, solder and heat shrink 6 of them for my boat for me and they wouldn't take any money for the job. I supplied all the materials and they did the labor. Left $20 on their work bench and I'm sure they wondered where it came from later.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 08:37 AM   #6
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
still live by the shop? maybe dry fit and hire them to crunch them, maybe cheaper than buying crimers.
I am 30 minutes away but we could not do any work for yourself. Worked on the Big Brown road tractors for 30 years.
Old 02-22-2023, 08:39 AM   #7
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

I made my 2wg cables yesterday with a economical crimper I bought last year on amazon thats worked well for me for a couple projects now. I used this one. it provides a solid crimp with the terminals I used.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On the flip side I found trying to use this crimper to crimp the wrong size terminal ends to the wrong size cable doesnt work well... YMMV
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 08:52 AM   #8
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lenny View Post
You might try a battery shop such as "Battery Wholesale". I had them crimp, solder and heat shrink 6 of them for my boat for me and they wouldn't take any money for the job. I supplied all the materials and they did the labor. Left $20 on their work bench and I'm sure they wondered where it came from later.
I have been getting a lot made for the 48 volt club cars. I talked to David at Revolution Golf Cars and he said he could have them made up for me. If I work on another resistor cart that needs cables I will go that route.

I figured up the cost to make cables not much difference in having them made.

I have to get a set of batteries I will ask them what they charge.
Old 06-11-2023, 04:26 PM   #9
dieselds
Not Yet Wild

Vice works for me so far so good
dieselds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 06:45 AM   #10
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I have and used to create battery cables for the portable power boxes I built. Biggest I have crimped with it so far is 4ga
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop