lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2023, 06:29 PM   #1
Lupus71
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Lithium battery bank vs multiple smaller ones

I am trying to get some answers on the best setup for me. I have the plowmans riot kit with an alltrax 500 amp controller and am wanting to swap to lithium. I am trying to find out what i need to get the most out of the 500 amp controller. I had thought about getting the allied battery bank 150ah or dakota lithium with 4 48v 60ah batteries. I only use the cart in my neighborhood but may take it on vacation once a year and need to drive around the towns. Maybe 15 miles or so. Are the battery banks better for performance than having multiple smaller ah batteries? If i get 4 60ah batteries instead on one 150ah bank are there any pros or cons? I also dont know what to expect out of either with my setup as far as mileage. Would either of them give me 20miles? The dakotas say they have a max continuous discharge of 100amps and a max peak of 650 amps for a few seconds i think but not to use with controllers over 400 amps. So is 100 amps all i can get for cruising and 400 amps for hills?
Lupus71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2023, 11:14 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lithium battery bank vs multiple smaller ones

If you get all the cells together in one pack that's better. The next best option is multiple full-voltage (48v) packs in parallel. That's OK but all as one is better because with all the cells in one pack you have on BMS to manage it all. The four in parallel should all see the same V and should all get 1/4 of the amp draw so it should be OK.

The one to avoid is four 12v lithium packs in series. That's very bad because each of the 4 BMS' sees the full amperage on each battery and if ever one 12v battery becomes out of balance the BMS will shut down. This impacts performance, range and charging as the batteries become further out of balance from each other. Over time, that situation becomes worse and worse.

150ah should get you 20+ miles easily. Unless you have your brakes dragging or are pulling a Christmas Float with your cart... Not like I'm admitting to doing that with my lithium cart...

The 150ah would be an easier install but the four 48v 60ah packs would be tempting because that's 240ah of capacity. Which option has the higher fully charged voltage? That's a big consideration for driving excitement. The higher the V the more energetic your cart will feel, just like your current pack at 48v (dead) feels a lot more sluggish than it does at 50.7v (fully charged). Your lithium will have a wider operating range so my cart feels spirited from 57v to 50v, but lower than that it feels sluggish to me and my cart cuts off at 46.5v.

But never, never do four 12v lithium packs in series. It'll work initially but it's not good over the long haul and performance will continue to slowly get worse over time.

$0.02
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 10:27 PM   #3
Lupus71
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks! I went with the single from allied. I have a 2011 yamaha drive. From what ive read i shouldnt need anything else right? Just hook up cables and 12v converter for lights and im good? Also, can you wire more that one thing to the converter like the usb plugs and meter?
Old 02-17-2023, 08:40 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yes you can wire USB plug - you need a 12V one. You will need to wire in a different charger for your new battery. You might want to change the main cables - length and gauge. If you have a stock motor, it's probably getting time for brushes. I have a 2009 and a 2012 drive - both on Lithium. I bought my 2009 with a failed motor. Brushes were the cause of the failure. Hitachi motors are not very robust.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 11:26 AM   #5
Lupus71
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have the plowmans riot kit. Its an alltrax 500 amp controller and a 9.5 hp motor. I am getting worried i may not have a battery coming at all. I got charged but never got a confirmation email from them. I used ultimate cart parts, i hope they are reputable.
Old 02-17-2023, 03:03 PM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus71 View Post
I have the plowmans riot kit. Its an alltrax 500 amp controller and a 9.5 hp motor. I am getting worried i may not have a battery coming at all. I got charged but never got a confirmation email from them. I used ultimate cart parts, i hope they are reputable.
Have you attempted to contact them? If so, you may want to begin documenting the attempted contacts in case you need to go to the CC and ask for a chargeback.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithium battery
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium