lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2023, 07:45 AM   #21
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Budget 90ah 48v lifepo4 battery build (under a grand)

Looks like some good progress!
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-30-2023, 07:49 AM   #22
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Augiedoggy......NOLEX is the best stuff on the planet! (Well...mebby not the best for everything!)

I like the fact that you can build your pack inside your home. The Mrs' would toss out the pack and me if I attempted that!!

And finally....what is this component? Is this the balancing device for the pack?
Yeah being the freezing temps are bad for the battery and its like 30 degrees in my garage... I am getting some pressure from the girlfriend on the "mess" on the livingroom floor but she knows she will get as much use out of it as me. you cant see it but the pack is on a 1/2" piece of plywood to keep that nasty box off my already trashed carpet.

That device is an active balancer. when the cells are either at a high or low state of charge I turn that on if the pack is out of balance and it will take up to 5amps from the high voltage cells and transfer to the lower voltage cells if needed. It can also get a pack that drops below my 3v per cell if one or 2 drop threshold working again to get me back to the campsite.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:50 AM   #23
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Nice job! Where did you get the active balancer? How do you control when it can balance?
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:54 AM   #24
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Nice job! Where did you get the active balancer? How do you control when it can balance?
Amazon and eBay has them but I bought this one on aliexpress.They all have a little soddered jumper that's closed. I opened it up and soldered a couple wires to control it Through a switch. I thought about hooking it up to a voltage switch so it would come on automatically but it was more work than it was worth. Hopefully, I don't need it all too often
Old 01-30-2023, 09:15 AM   #25
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The balancer that I built into my Leaf pack is manually controlled from my display. (with a minimum voltage to operate because I top balance) I find that I don't have to balance very often. I look at cell voltage after charging every so often and if it needs it, I turn on my balancer. It turns off when all cells are within 10mV.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:23 AM   #26
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
The balancer that I built into my Leaf pack is manually controlled from my display. (with a minimum voltage to operate because I top balance) I find that I don't have to balance very often. I look at cell voltage after charging every so often and if it needs it, I turn on my balancer. It turns off when all cells are within 10mV.
The BMS I chose does have Built-in passive balance that works that way and I will leave that on for day to day balancing Passive balance tends to waste energy because It uses resistors to bring down the voltage
Old 01-30-2023, 09:50 AM   #27
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

For me, passive is fine. It does waste energy but so little that I would never notice it. I built my own - it has an LED for each cell and it discharges high cells at about 1 amp which is enough to do the job if the cells start out reasonably balanced. (which they were)
Old 01-30-2023, 09:53 AM   #28
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
For me, passive is fine. It does waste energy but so little that I would never notice it. I built my own - it has an LED for each cell and it discharges high cells at about 1 amp which is enough to do the job if the cells start out reasonably balanced. (which they were)
Don't get me wrong I agree With you the passive balancing in my BMS is like 900 ma. I have read That under high sea rate loads the packs can sometimes wander out of balance Regardless which is why I put in the active balancer Plus I really don't know how well these Is cells are matched yet
Old 01-30-2023, 09:56 AM   #29
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

My only concern with any balancer circuit is that if it fails, it can kill a cell since the BMS can't protect against it discharging.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:59 AM   #30
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
My only concern with any balancer circuit is that if it fails, it can kill a cell since the BMS can't protect against it discharging.
So the positive terminal is switched on this balancer so when it's off the circuit It is incomplete but it is something to be mindful of Because the right type of short could still cause what you're describing being the negative is also the positive of the next cell
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium