lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!
Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's! Side x Sides, ATVs, Quads, Bikes, Jeeps, 4x4, and everything else.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2022, 07:12 PM   #1
billyclayalexander
Not Yet Wild

Default Looking for a fe290 CW starter

So i got a kawasaki Mule 550 cant find the serial number so not sure what year it is. Previous owner put a new starter on it and traded it in when he couldn't get it to run. I was told it " leaked gas out of the carb." So after a new carb, valve adjustment new plug the crazy thing wouldn't hit a lick and indeed it would blow all the misted fuel out the carb inlet. I had about 145 psi compression so valves were ok. After a few days i finally realized the previous owner had put a newer model starter on it and the motor was turning backwards. So i took my dewalt drill and 15/16th socket and turned the motor ccw looking at the flywheel and she started right up!!!

So I'm looking for a starter that turns cw(looking from the pinion gear end) which in turn will turn my motor ccw. I think the spiral on the shaft and bendix/pinion would prevent it being reversed somehow. Anyone have a cw rotating starter?

Billy Alexander
billyclayalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2022, 09:48 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Looking for a fe290 CW starter

Can't say for certain on your mule, but most of the Club Car versions of the FE290 the starter can be wired to run either direction. Does your Mule use a belt driven starter generator or a starter geared to the flywheel?
meimk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:09 PM   #3
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I think the smaller mules use a geared starter on the flywheel. The mention of a spiral shaft and bedix tends to confirm this. I would try contacting a Kawasaki dealership and quote the engine serial number to get the correct starter part number and go from there. Post the OEM number/s of the starter that is fitted now. If it is a cheap clone starter then the dealers is your only real choice without a machine serial number. You could of course google for a clockwise starter for FE290 and see what you come up with.

As far as I can tell the OEM brand and part number is probably Nippon Denso 128000-9980 which is a CW starter

EDIT. this took approximately 10 seconds to find. Google is your friend! Yes it is Chinesium but at least you have numbers to find an OEM one if you want reliability, but at this price it is worth a punt!

Try here https://www.rareelectrical.com/i-268...-d2-c1-c7.html
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:08 AM   #4
billyclayalexander
Not Yet Wild

I had searched quite a bit for a cw starter. Now i realize that searching for a mule 500 starter instead of 550 gets a lot of hits for cw starters.

Billy
billyclayalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!