lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2022, 07:23 AM   #41
derelicte
Gone Wild

Default Re: Activating "Low Speed Mode" / installing the switch

I didn't think about taking the bench part off. That looks much easier. I'm glad I asked!

Thanks!
derelicte is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2022, 09:25 AM   #42
derelicte
Gone Wild

I moved the wire from pin 35 to pin 2 on my 2022 controller this morning. It was very easy to do, especially after I removed the bench seat.

I watched the youtube video posted above that shows how to install and remove the pins in the controller connector. Definitely watch that video if you are going to do this mod. I inadvertently removed the red pin retainer and it made removing the pins much easier. Putting it back on was a little tricky because you need to make sure all the pins are properly aligned, otherwise it won't go back together.

Also, you need to pry the latch on the connector up, away from the body to unplug the connector. I used a small flat head screwdriver for this.

I spent some time double checking that the wire for the pin I removed actually went where the schematic showed, and it did. I also took the time to clean up the area back there when the seat was out. Cleaning out the bag well was much easier with the seat gone.

It took about an hour with all of the cleaning and double checking. I'm sure it could be done in under 15 minutes without cleaning.

I think this will be the easiest way to add a speed switch to our carts since it doesn't require crimping any wires to pins or trying to fish a new wire through the crowded grommet. Even the required voltage is wired to that connector. Once the work in the controller is done, it is just a matter of plugging in the switch to the unused, existing drive connector.

Here is the connect set I bought to plug into the drive connector:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't made up the wire harness that will plug into it yet, but I did mate the connector housing up to the drive connector and it did fit so it should be the correct mate.

I am still working on the programming of the relay controller to behave the way I want it to. I should finish that up today. I also need to buy a momentary switch and figure out where I want to mount it.

I'm getting there. Thanks for all of the help!
Old 08-21-2022, 02:38 PM   #43
derelicte
Gone Wild

It works!

First, big thanks to everyone for the help. This post is really useful:

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...6&postcount=29

Here Matt explains the important stuff:

Quote:
If you ordered the mating connector for this 4 pin connector, I would connect wires from pin #1 and #2 of the connector to your toggle switch/and latching relay circuit. Relocate the wire #35 of the main harness to position #2. So now you’re using the wires from pin#2 and pin #32 of the controller. Pin #32 should be +12vdc. Pin 35 appears to be for a fan for the controller that is not used.
After enabling the low speed switch and connecting pins 1 and 2, low speed mode is engaged!

I'm still messing around with the microcontroller programming that controls the relay. I'm working on a specific sequence to enabling ludicrous mode.

Also, the switch works backwards from how I want it because I want the default high speed mode (switch open) to top out at 28 and ludicrous mode (switch closed, or low speed mode) to max at 32. That should just be a matter of setting the max speeds for each range. Hopefully there isn't something in the controller that prohibits the lsm max speed from being greater than the hsm max speed.

While studying the schematics for this mod, I noticed that the charger interlock could be used for the same function by moving the wire from pin 3 to pin 2. Then you could just buy the mate for the dj7021-6.3 and connect that to your switch. Of course if you cart uses the charger interlock, then this wouldn't be an option. My cart doesn't use the interlock and I needed 12v for the relay controller so the drive connector made more sense for me to use.
Old 08-21-2022, 09:52 PM   #44
Itech
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

I assume the wiring from the 2019 would be the same. If I understand, wire 35 goes to the empty 4 prong plug under the speedo?
Itech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:31 AM   #45
derelicte
Gone Wild

I'm not sure what a 2019 looks like but the four pin drive connector I'm talking about is in the back right next to the controller box on the passenger side. Look up from underneath at the back and you should see it hanging there.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:36 AM   #46
derelicte
Gone Wild

I got the programming mostly done last night and took it for a test drive. It works but I got a motor overspeed warning I need to investigate. I think it is because the tire size is a little off. I increased it a bit because it was a little low. I now need to adjust the speedo and try it again.

The big surprise was how much stronger Regen is in ludicrous mode. I want to change normal mode to this stronger setting but the only difference between the two was a setting that didn't make sense. I need to look into this some more.
Old 08-22-2022, 08:29 PM   #47
Itech
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

what are the settings for the ludicrous mode? I have the Toyota controller.
Itech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 08:39 PM   #48
derelicte
Gone Wild

My ludicrous mode has a higher top speed, quicker acceleration and more aggressive regen, like in my tesla.

I made a discovery about the settings that I posted about in the 2022 tuning thread. But here is what I found about simple speed mode:

Quote:
I tried changing the speed response mode (6.02.01) from complex to simple mode and it did what I guessed in the above post - it eliminated the multiple speed acc and dec times and made it operate like the low speed mode settings!

yay!

It is way easier to tune this way. Just 2 parameters to fiddle with. I am now seeing almost 300a during acceleration. I haven't timed it but it seems a little quicker.

Note that my settings in the screen shots below are backwards from normal carts - my high speed mode is normal mode and low speed mode is ludicrous mode with higher top speed, faster acc and more aggressive regen.

Give it a shot!
https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=183087

My speed parameters in simple mode are attached. I don't know how this would translate to the toyota controller. Sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06 speed tab simple 1.jpg (158.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 06 speed tab simple 2.jpg (162.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-26-2023, 02:12 PM   #49
ronx
Not Yet Wild

Hey all, just upgraded to a 2022 Icon i40L from my old club car and really loving it. Lots of great information here! I've been absorbing all the info here on programming and would love to try the low speed switch mod. Had a couple questions about the wiring using the Drive plug. Am I understanding correctly that pin 2 on the controller plug is an *input* into the controller that takes the 12V output from the switch's ACC? And that pin 32 on the controller plug is an *output* from the controller that will carry the +12V for the switch's power? Maybe a picture is better. This is my understanding of how the switch (at the top) would be wired through the Drive plug down to the controller plug at the bottom. Do I have this right?

Also, are you using a fuse on the ACC side, and what size?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Icon LSM Switch Wiring.jpg (192.7 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by ronx; 05-26-2023 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: Adding note about fuse
ronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 03:54 PM   #50
derelicte
Gone Wild

If you are just using a switch you only need to connect pins 1 and 2 on the connector. You don't need the 12v.

I needed 12v for something else.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon