lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2022, 04:24 PM   #1
Crawdog
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default My journey begins with a G9 rebuild!

Hello everyone, I’m new to golf cart rebuilds and new to buddiesgonewild. I’ve started to rebuild my project cart, a Yamaha G9. Overall it’s in decent shape for its age but as one would expect it needs some help to bring it back from the graveyard. I anticipate the biggest challenge being the ability to find various parts. I’m hoping to tap into the vast experience on this site along the way to graciously seek advice and leads.

I have just begun the “tear down” of the body removal and have discovered some items I’d like to replace. So far this list includes rear wheel well liners and both the front and back bumpers. I should be able to repair the bent rear bumper but the bumper guards are either missing or beyond repair. Does anyone know of someone or somewhere that these items might still be available?
Crawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2022, 10:07 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: My journey begins with a G9 rebuild!

The G9 is a great cart, real tanks! I suspect you'll be looking for quite a few parts, most of which are likely out of production. You might find NOS Yamaha parts on the internet. There are "some" aftermarket parts available. Just remember these carts are roughly 25-30 years old by now, so factory support is about done for many things.

One of the best things I did when rebuilding a G9 was to buy a "parts cart". I actually robbed many parts, including bumpers, off a scrap cart I bought for $400, even used the transaxle in another cart. Definitely got my money's worth on that one.

I have never seen aftermarket bumpers specifically for these carts. Most of the stuff I've used on projects came from atv's and side by sides and I just fabricated them to fit.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:45 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Agree with slo. With some creative web hunting you may find some parts. Some parts like the airbox you can get “most” of it brand new still, but a couple of the important parts are nearly impossible to find.

Plowmans carts is a great resource for anything yamaha and Don is a hell of a good guy to deal with. He’s a Yamaha dealer so he’s got access to anything still made, and once you decide you need some more giddy up he’s your man.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 07:17 PM   #4
Crawdog
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree Slo, I’m keeping my eye out for a part cart but because of their age they rank just below some tyrannosaurus Rex bones to find lol. I’m expecting I’ll most likely need to fabricate some custom bumpers but if that’s all required I’m getting off pretty lucky. The engine seems to be in pretty good shape, although I purchased it without it in running condition. I’ve replaced the starter generator, carb, fuel pump, fuel filter, sparkplug and air filter. I thought it best to start off fresh and once these were replaced it started up right away. I was concerned about engine compression due to the age but the compression test came back at 150 psi so I was pleasantly surprised. But you’re right, I may need some more get up and go eventually. I’ll have to research what the best way to do that is.
Thanks again guys for the response and potential leads on parts. I’m sure it won’t be long and I’ll have some more questions regarding this old girl lol.

Take care
Old 04-18-2022, 09:19 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I just bought a G9. It doesn’t have a rear bumper but that’s okay because I’ll probably order a back seat kit for it anyway. However, it does have a SWEET front bumper. I’ll sell it to you but it won’t be cheap. It appears to be a totally awesome one of a kind prototype never meant for mass production
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6DFF7196-8F18-4223-8E78-0DD355BD5E65.jpg (247.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-21-2022, 09:08 PM   #6
Crawdog
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

LMAO it gives a new meaning to walk the plank! Congrats on the new purchase!
Old 04-21-2022, 09:28 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdog View Post
LMAO it gives a new meaning to walk the plank! Congrats on the new purchase!
Does that mean you’re not interested in the custom front bumper?
Old 04-21-2022, 11:52 PM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Thats not a front bumper CP! Its a custom platform for dwarfs to use for cleaning the screen and front cowl. Looks like it has not been used for a while though.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 12:13 AM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
Thats not a front bumper CP! Its a custom platform for dwarfs to use for cleaning the screen and front cowl. Looks like it has not been used for a while though.
I thought you called those “leprechauns” over there
Old 04-22-2022, 12:44 AM   #10
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

leprechauns are in Ireland and they can't swim that far to England. Plus I am in the south east in Kent, miles away from the west coast. Get your facts right 😆 . Looks like we are high jacking another thread again!😳
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha