lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2021, 12:12 PM   #1
JPGolfFL
Not Yet Wild

Default Fix Limp Mode Once And For All!

I have a 2004 CC Precedent here's the history-

A few years ago speed sensor went out. I replaced it with an Amazon special. That worked for a few months and went out. I replaced with a real one. That worked for about a year. Replaced with another real one and worked for a few days and then kept going into limp. I replaced the MCOR. I remember this being the "in between" model before some change to them?? I can get more info if needed.
I can't remember the exact result of that install because it has been a while. Either way the cart still randomly goes into limp mode. The MCOR feels fine with my foot and I'm 99% sure I got it from an actual dealer but I can't remember where.

The cart now has another new OEM speed sensor and an aftermarket magnet from a reputable dealer here. It will drive fine/fast for 10 seconds or 10 minutes but always cuts completely out and then I have to release the pedal and depress again. Most of the time it's in limp after that but sometimes it isn't. I used to cut out and do this when going up a hill or when a load was put on the motor but it doesnt seem to do that anymore. It's just random.

The batteries have a few years on them and measure around 48-50V when charged. I dont think its the batteries as sometimes I'll let it sit overnight not charging and when I get in it the next day it does fine for quite a while. Sometimes I pull it right off the charger and it kicks out within 30 seconds. So it doesn't "seem" like a battery issue. On that note last year when I was fooling with it I put the meter on the batteries and it seemed to drop voltage when it shut off before going into limp but I am not seeing that now.

I'm pretty sure the solenoid is fine i did check voltages at one time but I'll double check. It is clicking as it should.

HELP! I am fine with buying a controller but I don't want to buy a controller and have the same issue. Is something making speed sensors go bad? Can speed sensors(new) be intermittent? The wires and connectors for the SS look fine. I'm tired of messing with it and am happy to buy a controller if thats what it is!
JPGolfFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-05-2021, 03:11 PM   #2
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Fix Limp Mode Once And For All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGolfFL View Post
I have a 2004 CC Precedent here's the history-

A few years ago speed sensor went out. I replaced it with an Amazon special. That worked for a few months and went out. I replaced with a real one. That worked for about a year. Replaced with another real one and worked for a few days and then kept going into limp. ....
After the 2nd sensor went out I'd be looking at the voltage being sent to the sensor, it's just a chip and over-voltage could burn it out.
I think I've seen a test procedure on the forum for the sensor.
That would help determine if the sensor or the controller is bad.
Did you keep all the old sensors?
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:31 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGolfFL View Post

The batteries have a few years on them and measure around 48-50V when charged.
Can you be more specific? 50v is only 80%. 48v is less than 50% charge. If this is what you’ve got after a full charge cycle then you’ve got problems.

I’d also monitor voltage as you drive. If voltage cuts low it could cause the controller to go squirrely. One bad battery could potentially cause similar problems as well
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:26 PM   #4
JPGolfFL
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Can you be more specific? 50v is only 80%. 48v is less than 50% charge. If this is what you’ve got after a full charge cycle then you’ve got problems.

I’d also monitor voltage as you drive. If voltage cuts low it could cause the controller to go squirrely. One bad battery could potentially cause similar problems as well
Can a bad battery cause random limp mode? How so? I ask so I can understand how the thing works.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:20 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The controller shuts off at a certain voltage to protect itself. If a battery is bad but the rest are good it can cause voltage to drop below threshold.

Even if just for a second, low voltage does funny things to all electronics. Especially high current capable electronics.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:47 PM   #6
JPGolfFL
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
The controller shuts off at a certain voltage to protect itself. If a battery is bad but the rest are good it can cause voltage to drop below threshold.

Even if just for a second, low voltage does funny things to all electronics. Especially high current capable electronics.
Voltage is 50.8 on a full charge. Each battery measures 12.68.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:02 PM   #7
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I haven't seen this mentioned in years. There used to be a problem with the solenoid dropping out. It was caused by the electric harness. The cure was to replaced the harness with a modified one that contained some extra diodes. Search the forum for "dropout harness" It may give you a starting point to solve your problem.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:26 PM   #8
JPGolfFL
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TBabich View Post
After the 2nd sensor went out I'd be looking at the voltage being sent to the sensor, it's just a chip and over-voltage could burn it out.
I think I've seen a test procedure on the forum for the sensor.
That would help determine if the sensor or the controller is bad.
Did you keep all the old sensors?
When the cart is running normally the speed sensor test passes. When it’s acting up it fails. I think the question is if it’s the speed sensor going out or the controller not hearing what the speed sensor is saying.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:30 PM   #9
JPGolfFL
Not Yet Wild

So the cart ran good for 20 mins or so today. Passes the speed sensor test when it’s running fine. It cut out and went to limp mode. At that point it doesn’t pass the SST. That tell us it HAS to be speed sensor related, right? If it was a solenoid or something else it would pass the SST in limp mode wouldnt it? So it’s either a speed sensor, controller, or wires in between? Am I right?
Old 04-06-2021, 07:37 PM   #10
JPGolfFL
Not Yet Wild

To add to the above the batteries still measured 50.8 after it went to limp.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car