lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
claytonwarren
Not Yet Wild

Default RoyPow in 2002 ClubCar DS w/ DC current?

Has anyone dropped a 105ah RoyPow into a 2000+ Club Car DS with DC current 48v? I'm in need of some new batteries (currently running six 8-V Trojan T-875 batteries). I use my cart for hunting. It has a lift and 22" tires.

500 amp GE Series Controller
D&D Series Motor (Increased Torque/Speed)

This model doesn't have the battery tray either. That area is all open once you lift the seat.

Has anyone with this cart installed RoyPow? Is it compatible with my DC controller and motor?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4064.jpg (123.8 KB, 0 views)
claytonwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2020, 11:22 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RoyPow in 2002 ClubCar DS w/ DC current?

The batteries are just batteries. It is a 48V DC source just as the lead acid was a 48V DC source, so it would function without much ado in a stock golf cart.

I am assuming you have figured out if the pack will fit under your seat, that aside, the difference for a modified cart is peak/continuous amp draw. In these pre-made lithium packs the BMS is the weakest link and often cannot handle amp draws that are necessary for modified, non-golf use. If you are looking at these seriously you need to contact them to find out the max continuous discharge current is and the max burst discharge. Then you'll want to turn down the max draw on your controller to be somewhere in-between.

With Roy Pow, your cart will weigh less than with lead acid so it will draw less current (or draw peak current for shorter times) since the load on the motor/controller is less. But a good baseline is what amps your cart draws now. Do you have any logs from your controller indicating how many amps your cart draws in regular use or peak use? If you regularly see sub second peaks of 300 amps when used like you would when hunting, it'll probably be fine. If you see sustained high amp draws then it's likely beyond the capacity of the current RoyPow BMS.

Just need to know your amp draw and compare that to what RoyPow says their pack can do.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:52 PM   #3
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

OP,
Bronson makes some very valid points on the amp draw limitation of drop-in lithium pack to replace FLA packs. I have a modified DS and I considered possibly purchasing 4 - 12V-115Ah lithium batteries that the big time tournament bass fishermen are using in their boats. I bass fish and hunt so I thought I could use the 4 lithiums to support both my hobbies and I could justify the cost. I did some test runs to log some information with the FLA pack. I charged the cart and did the runs with just myself in the cart. I would lose weight with the lithiums but I often carry a hunting buddy so the setup was close.
I did 3 log test -
1) flat road from stop to WOT,
2) road hill climb from stop to WOT,
3) road hill climb at 50% WOT

My peak amp draw was 300 amps on the long hill climb. I set the controller to limit amp draw on the pack per the lithium battery specs and my cart turned into a slug so that kind of made my decision.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hunter, what was the max continuous amp draw on the lithiums you were looking at? What amp limit did you impose during your test.

I looked at the RoyPow 160ah and it said continuous discharge was 160 amps then said max discharge was 115 amps... So I think they confused themselves and just pasted the max discharge from their earlier models. The max discharge (burst discharge) should be more than the continuous.

I set my cart in Kid mode to be limited to 165 amps so the kids can't throw anyone off the back. With a 165 amp limit with lithium my cart acts a lot like the stock controller on lead acid batteries before I converted.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:39 AM   #5
anpgator
Getting Wild

Can't imagine needing much more than 160amps continuous even in a "performance" setting, unless DC is that much less efficient.

Our rental fleet carts have 450AMP Curtis AC controllers and 5.3KW motors and at WOT, 5750 RPMS and 26mph the amp draw is around 90 amps in a 6 Passenger.

I have the 56AH pack in my 95 DS. Having installed the 160 amp Roy Pow pack in another cart and comparing it side by side to the 105 AH pack, i don't see any way of fitting the 160AH pack in a DS without modifying the frame.
anpgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:38 AM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If I accelerate WOT from a dead stop I see a burst of 300 or so amps and will see upper 100's/lower 200's for a few seconds. When at speed the amp draw was certainly less than 100 amps. I want to say it was around 70 amps on pavement in my cart but can't remember for sure.

My point was that the numbers posted by RoyPow seemed backwards. The "max discharge" was less than the continuous discharge.

I saw today that RoyPow now offers an HD version of their packs with a higher discharge current. So it sounds like they realized running all the current through the BMS and not using a separate contactor was not good for golf cart use and have made changes to accommodate our niche.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:45 AM   #7
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

[quote=bronsonj;1711122]
Quote:
Hunter, what was the max continuous amp draw on the lithiums you were looking at? What amp limit did you impose during your test.

The 12V drop-in lithiums I was considering had a maximum continuous discharge of 100 amps and a maximum peak discharge current limitation of 350 amps for 3 seconds. I set my controller to limit battery amp draw to 100 amps and on flat ground, I could live with the performance but on a hill climb, my cart was a slug. Unfortunately where I use my cart is off road with hills. I built my cart for torque so I can't justify de-tuning it to accommodate battery limitations.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:39 AM   #8
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
If I accelerate WOT from a dead stop I see a burst of 300 or so amps and will see upper 100's/lower 200's for a few seconds. When at speed the amp draw was certainly less than 100 amps. I want to say it was around 70 amps on pavement in my cart but can't remember for sure.

My point was that the numbers posted by RoyPow seemed backwards. The "max discharge" was less than the continuous discharge.

I saw today that RoyPow now offers an HD version of their packs with a higher discharge current. So it sounds like they realized running all the current through the BMS and not using a separate contactor was not good for golf cart use and have made changes to accommodate our niche.
Where did you see the "HD" version, I can't find it anywhere. All I see is the "S" series on their USA site....
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:11 PM   #9
badankle
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by anpgator View Post
Can't imagine needing much more than 160amps continuous even in a "performance" setting, unless DC is that much less efficient.

Our rental fleet carts have 450AMP Curtis AC controllers and 5.3KW motors and at WOT, 5750 RPMS and 26mph the amp draw is around 90 amps in a 6 Passenger.

I have the 56AH pack in my 95 DS. Having installed the 160 amp Roy Pow pack in another cart and comparing it side by side to the 105 AH pack, i don't see any way of fitting the 160AH pack in a DS without modifying the frame.
Hi i have a 2007 CC DS . I was wondering if you had to make changes in your battery frame to place the Roypow 56 in ? I am thinking of upgrading from 6 8 volt to Roy Pow 56 but i am a little concerned about the extra work needed to make the fit under the seat. Thanks Tim
badankle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #10
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
AFAIK, the BMS is still passing the current, it's just a beefier one. I could be wrong though.

I have the "standard" RoyPow 105 and it's been great - never has tripped BMS and I have Navitas 5KW / 23" tires, but no hills and I don't go off road. Amp draw, even set higher in controller, doesn't go above 220 or so from a stop to WOT, and as you mention, just for a second or so. WOT speeds pull about 150-160A, and I can run at that speed as long as the road is straight enough without any issues from BMS.

I think big tires, mud, off road etc... in a hunting cart would not be ideal for the standard RP like I have, as you suggest.

FWIW, I'm waiting on a 72v pack from China that has same kind of BMS my RP has (no mechanical contactor(s)), but is rated for 200A continuous, 300A short term, so higher current ratings coupled with higher voltage that will reduce the effective current should (hopefully) make for a reliable pairing.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium