lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2021, 06:30 PM   #1
Yttermayn
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default 86 Columbia Par Car gas primary clutch plate cracked

My clutch plate is cracked. I'm wondering 2 things: can it be welded? Is there a low cost replacement clutch that would work like this one : https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...g&dct=1&adurl=
Thanks.
Yttermayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2021, 11:55 PM   #2
Yttermayn
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default Re: 86 Columbia Par Car gas primary clutch plate cracked

Welp, for anyone who cares, I welded the crack carefully and rotated so there was no weight on the cracked flange that could wear funny and jam. Hopefully it works out.
Old 10-07-2021, 02:46 PM   #3
Dw21
Not Yet Wild

Hope it works out for you. I too would like to know if there are any clutch alternatives to the very expensive “new old stock” oem clutches…if you can find them. (Mine is a ‘94 and the secondary is rough to look at but seems to function ok)
Dw21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:14 PM   #4
Yttermayn
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Now that the plate is no longer flexing along the crack, it works but it's a little too tight on startup. Trying to figure out how to adjust it now.
Old 10-21-2021, 02:49 PM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Sorry about the lack of response. I have welded those flanges before. Try to pass to make sure that you keep things in balance even if it means adding a spot of two of weld on the clutch opposite of where the crack was.

As far as adjusting, I don't recall anything being adjustable on these clutches. You may have to source a belt that is 1/2 or an inch longer OR one that is list a little bit thinner. This isn't an easy task but there are a few sites out there that will allow you to buy belts by size and not application. For example, I have a tractor that has am OEM belt that's 1/2 in x 75 inches. For whatever reason, the belt kept slipping so I was able to get a belt that was 1/2 in x 74 inches. Things have been fine since.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:06 AM   #6
riverratrestorations
Not Yet Wild

Did you ever have any success finding a replacement clutch?
riverratrestorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:20 PM   #7
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

The primary clutch plate 36578-82C is available from my buddy Brian at Kraft. They started getting a lot of the old gas parts made again to keep the gas carts going. Sells for 392.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 10:16 AM   #8
Yttermayn
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

So it worked for about a year, now my clutch likes to let the weights out a little too much and they get trapped. Actually had one get out completely and it was pure luck I found it again in my field. Thinking about replacing it. I'll look up on Krafts.
Old 04-29-2023, 10:29 AM   #9
Yttermayn
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Support View Post
The primary clutch plate 36578-82C is available from my buddy Brian at Kraft. They started getting a lot of the old gas parts made again to keep the gas carts going. Sells for 392.
Do you have a link? I found kraftgolfcars.com, but didn't see a web sales catalog. Guess they don't have one? Guess I will give them a call if the time comes I give up on this thing. Also, do you have any insight on my problem with the cluch opening too far so that the weights can get stuck? I tried a new belt, since maybe the old one was too thin.
Old 05-29-2023, 04:23 PM   #10
Yttermayn
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yttermayn View Post
So it worked for about a year, now my clutch likes to let the weights out a little too much and they get trapped. Actually had one get out completely and it was pure luck I found it again in my field. Thinking about replacing it. I'll look up on Krafts.
Follow up for anyone who cares: I located the old clutch cover and reinstalled it using some longer screws. Everything works great now. Guess that clutch cover does more than keep the dust off.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar