lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2018, 10:02 PM   #11
Friedom
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: best 6" a-arm lift for clubcar

I'm just finishing up putting a 6" a arm lift on my 90s CC DS with 22" Saharas for taking my 4yo old out on. I really liked the Super Sport, but could only find them from one vendor and was swayed by two things:
Jake's, the old classic, seems to have universal acclaim, was at basically the same price point, is equipped to add front disc brakes if needed, and forgive me for saying this, but free shipping sold me.
I bought from a site that is not sponsored, and have had a fun experience:

First time I put in the order, while it said accepted, I was called 4 days later to be informed that there was a glitch and it had to be resubmitted. No biggie, arrived 2 days later with new shiny wheels and tires.
But they forgot the lug nuts.

So I installed the lift, then discovered the missing necessary lugs, and put on my stock wheels which fit and worked fine! This was astonishing to me as everything I read said you need to have at least 10" offset wheels. Nope. The instructions do say, "you can use your stock wheels, but we don't recommend it. " I would have thought twice about adding $500 to the order for bigger wheels had I known that.

The hiem joints screw into the upper and lower arms.
Except both of my uppers didn't. Bad powder coating or something, but despite much force applied, I couldn't get them more than half way threaded in. Bottom ones installed all the way by hand, easy peasy.

So the company sent me two new upper control arms, 3 new hiems, and the lug nut set. Cool.

Went to put the first lug on, and it was metric and didn't fit. The other 15 were 1/2x20 and worked fine. Guess a metric one slipped in.

Today I put on the new upper control arms. Driver side heim threaded right in. Cool. Passenger side started good for a few turns, then got increasingly harder. Backed it out, threads got bummed somewhere inside. I put it in as far as I could (about half way). The heim ball doesn't move as freely now because I had to put some force on it to get it in.

Called the company today. Told them their customer service is great but QC could use some work. 3 out of 6 bad upper control arms, missing lug nut after lugs were forgotten, customer service email not answered, and so on.

She sent me a fresh lug, another control and heim. Got the overnight shipping notification shortly thereafter.

Also in case you didn't know (I didn't either), your 6" lift will very likely make your brake cables a little too tight. This leads to an awkward situation where you use the brakes, the axle wraps a little, tightening the cable and applying the brake more, which causes more axle wrap, which tightens the cable... you see where this is going. Spontaneous brake lockups while slowing down.
One solution is a longer driver side brake cable. Another is to reverse the bake drum hubs and some fancy footwork with the bake cable mount going under the leaf spring but above the axle. Keeps the cables higher and less snaggable as well.
Also, at least one white cable going from your motor to the controller (if it's an electric cart) might be too short with the lift. Mine snapped when the brakes locked up.

I don't mean to be hijacking your thread, but I think that there's a lot of pertinent info to you as we have pretty much exactly the same setup and purpose in mind.

The Jake's kit is extremely tough. Gussets like nobody's biz. I think you'll enjoy the super sport though. Hopefully it's a little softer ride.
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2018, 11:05 PM   #12
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yikes...If I had hair I surely would have pulled it all out after that. They did right by you in the end but your time = money and wasting it with all that back and forth is just not right. Sounds like a really good reason to stick with the sponsors - - from everything I've read they are all upstanding 5-star American family businesses who make it a point to get things right and provide fair pricing, amazing support and guidance from start to finish. A sure fire recipe for a very successful business.
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:35 AM   #13
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

If you would've went with All Sports to begin with you wouldn't have had those QC issues. That's the main reason I went All Sports after reading many threads of missing parts, bad QC or powder coat jobs from Jake's.

On top of that with the All Sports kit, axle wrap isn't an issue causing breaks to lock up because the rear lift comes with a 4 bolt set up on each side of the axle. The Jake's comes with 1 U-bolt per side, which causes the wrap.

Glad you've enjoyed you experience with Jake's, but I think the OP made the best choice going with Dave and choosing All Sports.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:08 PM   #14
Friedom
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
If you would've went with All Sports to begin with you wouldn't have had those QC issues. That's the main reason I went All Sports after reading many threads of missing parts, bad QC or powder coat jobs from Jake's.

On top of that with the All Sports kit, axle wrap isn't an issue causing breaks to lock up because the rear lift comes with a 4 bolt set up on each side of the axle. The Jake's comes with 1 U-bolt per side, which causes the wrap.

Glad you've enjoyed you experience with Jake's, but I think the OP made the best choice going with Dave and choosing All Sports. [emoji106]
No argument here! I never saw any threads about problems with Jake's. Definitely would have affected my decision.
And the bit about 4 bolts on the rear. What the actual ****! You mean this has been figured out with a kit? Grr.
My u bolts are currently flipped, but could definitely use something more resilient.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:23 PM   #15
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Contact David at Revolution and he can hook you up with the rear 4 bolt set up from All Sports.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #16
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Unfortunately, imperfect threads are a more common problem on parts nowadays from both sides of the ocean. Most of us just clean then up with a tap or die as need be as the downtime costs too much to wait for replacements.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #17
fldoghunter
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the heads up on problems I could encounter. I hope my install goes smoother than yours. In the end, that's a nice looking buggy, about what I'm looking for.
fldoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:35 AM   #18
Friedom
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldoghunter View Post
Thanks for the heads up on problems I could encounter. I hope my install goes smoother than yours. In the end, that's a nice looking buggy, about what I'm looking for.
It's actually a little bigger than I was aiming for, but nice ride, the kid likes it, even the DW likes it.
Took my motorcycle buddy on it today. He was really happy about how quiet it is.
Think I'm going to fab up a hitch receiver so I can put the bike carrier on and go MTB with it!
Old 02-02-2018, 06:09 AM   #19
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

I love allsport....

Phenomenal job on powder coating..... And good strong Helm joints.......NOT!!!!!

ON TOP OF THAT THEY WOULD NOT WARRANTY OR BACK THEIR PRODUCT!!!!
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:04 AM   #20
fldoghunter
Not Yet Wild

I saw your other post before I ordered the Allsport lift. In that post, you said you didn't like any of the a arm lifts, but that the Allsport held up the best of them all. I didn't have the $ for the long travel, and wouldn't have for quite some time. Though it's going on the kids cart, I don't intend for it to be abused. I think what I bought will serve me well. If it breaks, I'll fix it. And if it rusts, I'll paint it.
fldoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts