lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #11
supermotosean
Not Yet Wild
Pargo

Default Re: Gov. Removal On 303447 Briggs

Thanks for bringing this back from the dead!
supermotosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2011, 02:12 AM   #12
didjidude
Getting Wild
Yamaha

yup, needs to be a sticky
didjidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:14 AM   #13
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Sticky it is!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #14
Petrosk
Not Yet Wild

The photographs show the removal of the governor weights from the stock cam, but nothing is mentioned about the compression release. Is that kept in place or are the external cam and spring removed along with the internal parts (the ball bearings and the actuator)?
Petrosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #15
nhoffman94
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

do you need to remove the cam wieghts, or does it not matter
nhoffman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #16
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

They are easy enough to remove, I wouldn't want them flying around in there at 5000 + rpm's......
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #17
S Callahan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintrock View Post
They are easy enough to remove, I wouldn't want them flying around in there at 5000 + rpm's......
Sorry this is long winded but I feel very strongly about this.

If I may bring up a safety point here. I have built and run hi-perf/hi-RPM Garden Tractors for years. That is not a bragging point. Just demonstrating I have experience with small engines. We pullers and hot rodders like HP and RPM. Most of the engines we use are designed to operate at 3600 RPM in factory form. CAST IRON flywheels will not handle high RPM. Cast iron flywheels have been known to explode at RPM is excess of 4000. People have been very seriously injured by exploding flywheels. That is why pulling and racing rules state cast iron flywheel engines are restricted to the use of governors and max. and 3600 RPM, PLUS a safety shield.

If you remove that governor and do not use a billet flywheel I strongly suggest you give it serious consideration for the safety sake of yourself and those around your running engine.
S Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #18
mopar92
Gone Wild

Good point about the flywheel, I race Briggs 5 HP limited modified and we turned stock flywheels 8,900 RPMs. I think these vtwins should be safe to 5,000 . What you said has a lot of value though!!! Good pics. Thanks!
mopar92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #19
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar92 View Post
Good point about the flywheel, I race Briggs 5 HP limited modified and we turned stock flywheels 8,900 RPMs. I think these vtwins should be safe to 5,000 . What you said has a lot of value though!!! Good pics. Thanks!
You let me know if you get a Vtwin to 5g rpm without some serious mods..and if you do without a billet flywheel , make sure you have your insurance paid up... I wouldn't worry about the flywheel at 5000, I would be worried about my arse sitting on top of that engine.
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #20
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrosk View Post
The photographs show the removal of the governor weights from the stock cam, but nothing is mentioned about the compression release. Is that kept in place or are the external cam and spring removed along with the internal parts (the ball bearings and the actuator)?

I left it all intact (the compression release) but removed the weights and arm.

I don't hold it to the floor for extended periods of time, as in almost..no..make that never. I don't need to, nor do I know any non racers that do.. I hold mine at a non float speed when traveling, and occasionally need full throttle in the woods..but momentary only.. Holding an ungoverned vtwin at full throttle is an exercise in back account emptying.
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!