lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Sled Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2017, 10:57 PM   #1
cjjr38
Not Yet Wild

Default Thoughts on how to hookup a belt drive

I have read so many forums on the sled engine swaps trying to figure out a solution. So I have what is believed to be a 1985 ezgo that I plan to put a 94 Arctic cat Jag 440 engine in. The rear end that is on the cart now has a spindle coming out of the differential. I would like to somehow find a belt driven rear end to put in the cart that has an option for reverse given that it would make more sense than trying to reverse the direction my crank spins in the motor. I appreciate the input.
cjjr38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Thoughts on how to hookup a belt drive

So I am guessing the your current rear end is either an electric, or 2 stroke?

To have reverse you will need a 4 stroke rear end.
My buddy has the same set up and he used the sled clutch on the engine and the cart rear clutch on the rear end.

The gas rear ends can be hard to find and some what expensive. The ones on E-bay are to high for my blood.

If you can do fab work will make finding one easier, you will not have to find one that fits your cart. It just a mater of the way they mount. Well and some Club car rears drive from what we would call the passenger side.

Where are you located? I have a 4 stroke rear end with reverse and clutch out of a Yamaha that I may be willing to sell.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:29 PM   #3
cjjr38
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: Thoughts on how to hookup a belt drive

The cart I have was an electric cart, or so I was told. Its in pretty rough shape but I have all the fabrication equipment to mount whatever I can get to work. I'm located in mid Michigan, so my question was to what carts came with the reverse in the differential vs. Being in the motor. Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.
cjjr38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:44 AM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Any of the gas carts with 4 stroke engines have reverse. Many here use yamaha transaxles for engine swaps.So any yamaha G2 and up would serve your purpose. As with any electric to gas conversion getting the whole engine cradle would be ideal.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #5
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

For a belt drive set up to work both engine and rear end have to move as one unit.
If not the belt would loosen and tighten as the suspension moves.

On electric carts reverse is accomplished by the electric motor turning in reverse.

A 2 stroke or 2 cycle engine can run in left or right rotation. That's how the get reverse.

On a 4 stroke the reverse is actual gearing in the rear end with a shifter.

Do you know the make of your cart??
Does it have a swing arm or leaf springs?

Do you have a pic?
You may want to look at a lot more pic's and go and find a gas cart you can look at to see how things work.

The sled swap is the easiest of the swaps, but there are some basic things that have to be in place for it to work.

Now you may see some have welded gears directly to the rear end and engine and use a chain drive! It will work, but what you end up with is a big engine that makes a lot of noise and go's very slow. These cart rear ends have a 12 to 1 ratio, witch is very low. The clutches work some what as a transmission as they change the gearing.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:15 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The cvt is your 'gears'. It runs roughly 3.xx ratio to .9 overdrive. The trans is usually 12-13:1 and figure what ever size tires you run. With .9 OD times the 13 trans that is about 11:1 overall for a yamaha G2/9 engine to tires ratio in 'high gear'.

Carts all use a cradle of some kind, it swings making up the rear suspension. It also mounts the axle, trans, and engine all together so the CVT can be mounted between them solidly.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Sled Engine Swaps