lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2016, 07:20 PM   #1
rottie
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Lithium Conversion (leaf battery)

Well as promised, I would start a new thread on my conversion.
I bought a running 94 EZGO marathon electric about a month ago. It is in pretty good condition and runs decent but has some battery acid cancer on the battery trays but clean body.
It also has a sagging drivers side rear spring, but I am currently replacing the rear leaf springs right now.
My specs are going from 36V (6S1P) FLA to 67V (16S4P) Nissan Leaf battery modules . The end result is 120Ah of battery at 67V (fully charged).
This will have a Orion jr BMS and dual digital display for voltage and current.
I am going to change out the motor to AMD 7124 (Beast, max torque) and Alltrax controller SPM72500.
Upgrade all of the battery cables (2awg), 400A contactor and change out reverser to electric solenoid reverser (Albright SW200).
On board charger 800W.
Add disk brakes which requires bigger rim tires.(got the tires/rims yesterday)at 205/65-10)
Add solar cell (145-150W thin film)
Add 5 panel rearview mirror (done)
Add trailer hitch
Add Voltage reducer (DC-DC voltage converter[30amp isolated out] )
Limited slip rear-end (may have to find txt rear?)

I will add pictures as I download them from my camera.
My goals are a cart that can pull my boat down to the local neighborhood marina (17' Boston whaler), pull a cart around the property and just have fun running the dog. I am not interested in a high speed cart (15-20mph max) and street legal.
rottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2016, 10:12 PM   #2
Perry007
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lithium Conversion (leaf battery)

Will the 205/65-10's fit under or are you putting a lift (I didn't see a lift listed, but I am thinking of going with something like that, didn't know if a lift was needed!)

I look forward to some pictures!
Perry007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

205/65-10 should fit fine without a lift, might rub a little if flexing it alot on "offroading style terrain". Sounds like an awesome build. It should be a "beast". Should be fine for "street/parking lot/boat tow/yard" use. Smart move with the new springs. HD springs, or stock? Also, RXV posi is the best you can buy, and will fit in your axle (its a true "automotive style" clutch-type posi unit). Cant wait to see more on this build. I've built some Li carts, if i can offer any help on that, just ask. Does Orion Jr support your desired voltage (i saw 60v max)?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:18 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yes - the Orion Jr supports up to 16 cells. Most folks use 14 cells for about 58 volts. That is what I am using. I have my Leaf batteries installed in my Yamaha but I have not finished my BMS / Meter system. I will post pix soon. I used 14 Leaf modules for 120AH of storage at about 58 V max.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:07 PM   #5
rottie
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I have just finished installing the rear leafs (4 leaf HD) and it gave me a couple of inches lift in the rearwith no rubbing issues.
But the rear axle moved back ~0.5- 1" and now my back brakes are dragging/rubbing. So I have to remove the drums, inspect and adjust the cable them and the shocks nolonger fit , too short, soooooo new shocks added to list.
I also installed the trailer hitch.

The new tires will not fit on the front w/o rubbing. I have to order new springs/lift kit.

It kinda looks like the old drag racers trick to add long shackles to lift the rear end. at the moment.

I have lucked out on the frozen bolts/rusted solid bolts as they are coming loose/out w/o any major issues.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:40 PM   #6
rottie
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

ok, lets try and post some initial pictures.
Here is the unmodified/unmolested cart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2584.jpg (198.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2588.jpg (170.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2590.jpg (156.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-20-2016, 07:47 PM   #7
rottie
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

here is some of my first modifications.
  1. Added mirror
  2. old controller/contactor with a couple of batteries removed so I can get at the rear shocks.
  3. old rear springs before removal
  4. new rear springs before adding
  5. new tires 10" after new springs added
  6. added trailer hitch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2591.jpg (101.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2592.jpg (179.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2593.jpg (285.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2598.jpg (196.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2599.jpg (211.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Ghee......the unmodified pics make it, well make it look like it just needs taken out back and put out of it's misery.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:00 PM   #9
rottie
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I have ordered the rest of my parts $$$$ and should have them here starting early next week..
The boss (wife) is really liking the mods sofar.
So far everything has been really easy to replace. It will be a little more difficult when the real mods (battery tray replacement/fab, controller mounting, cable making, etc).
I did spring for a harbor freight hydraulic crimper for crimping the terminals on the 2awg wire. I want to make sure all high current connections are perfectly crimped. High resistance connections at 400-500 amps would be really bad.
I am also adding ANN 400amp fuse(safety) and 500 amp current shunt as they were never in the original stock system.

I am having to do a lot of research on adding disk brakes to my 94 electric marathon, I want 4 wheel disk brakes but nobody make a complete kit, only for 94.5 + medalist/txt. So it looks like I may have to swap in different front and rear axles. .
Old 01-20-2016, 08:54 PM   #10
Perry007
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

What springs/shocks are you going with on the front to give clearance for the tires?
Perry007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO