lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2015, 08:47 AM   #11
Field6565
Gone Wild

Default Re: Clone kill relay wiring diagram

Sticky!
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #12
DakotaEight
Getting Wild

Yamaha

DakotaEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:16 AM   #13
DakotaEight
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Can you use the original coil from the yamaha engine or do you have to use the coil on the clone? Wires are different from the old engine to the new one and coil isnt marked on either one to which wire goes where.
DakotaEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #14
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Depends on what you want to do. If you try to use the G2/9 ignition you will have to somehow install the crank trigger and make it trigger at the right timing, I don't yet know how to do that but have thought about it. (too many other things I'm trying to do lol) So I can't help you much other than you could use all stock wiring if you went that way, all stock coil/trigger/ignitor and you would have to time it right to start with.

Most people run the clone ignition which is self powered and needs no wiring. But it grounds to kill while the stock ignition needs 12v to run, they are opposite. That is why you hook up the above relay to kill the engine from the 12v coming from your pedal (if using the stock generator or not.)

To find the kill wire for sure, remove the fan shroud and trace the small wire out of the ignition coil. Any other wire there would be from under the flywheel and be the charge coil usually only on electric start engines. It has a diode in it and goes to 12v power. Most clones have a breaker in the key box this wire goes through before hooking to 12v.

If you use the key switch from the clone I can't tell you colors because mine were all black, different clones use different wires. You will have a kill wire that goes to the coil and the low oil shutoff, the clones use a key or a kill switch for this. Key will have 12v and only uses that to power the start solenoid, it has a ground it connects to kill the engine when you turn it off. The key does nothing in 'run' position, same as kill switch.

If you use the clone key switch and toss the stock generator/starter just extend all the clone key wires (keeping them the same wires) and mount it where you want. Locate the kill wire and hook the relay to that. Keep your pedal switch working and use the hot wire off that for the relay (can use the wire that activated the stock start solenoid or coil or ignitor, it will be 12v with pedal down and key on only.)

A B&S small engine using magneto ignition (actually the vanguards also use this) uses the same key type, you can use one of those if you can wire it up. This key will ground on 'off'. Outboards also use this type of wiring. Larger automotive ignition type engines with 12v powered coils use a different key that powers 12v to the ignition to run, such as the older kohler had points and 12v coil. Stock G2/9 is like this but uses the ignitor and trigger to fire the 12v coil instead of points. You can always tell a magneto engine because the coil will be powered off a big magnet on the flywheel that runs past it (most single some twin lawn engines, coil is always hidden under the flywheel shrouding), or it will have a gear drive thing that looks like a distributor that generates its power (as commonly used on drag cars and oil pumping equipment).
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:41 PM   #15
wicked872
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I just put the 460 clone from vegas carts in my G14, on the instructions it says to take the black wire coming from the engine and run it to a switch and then to ground, did this and when switch is flipped engine quits, wont restart till you flip the switch back, is this something recent because it works perfectly with no relays or anything.
wicked872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:01 PM   #16
motojoe1988
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Slo look at my thread i think mine is similar too wicked except I ran my kill switch to the frame to ground and it work via pedal on and off with and without the relay inn.
motojoe1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:22 PM   #17
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

This is for a G2/ G9. Some yamaha have different ignitions. The G2 G9 have 12v from the pedal when pedal down, if yours does not then its different. The relay kills the clone when you let off the pedal, for people that keep the stock starter/generator system, then it works just like stock and it is safely killed when off (pedal up).

The clone will kill when you ground the kill wire to anything connected to the engine block. If your pedal wire grounds when you let off the pedal, and nothing when pedal down, then you can hook it directly to the clone kill wire. Never hook power to the kill wire it can (usually does) blow up the coil on the clone, usually blows up a magneto coil on about any engine.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:00 PM   #18
wicked872
Getting Wild
Yamaha

the black wire kills it, the only original wiring I used is the solenoid to run the original starter generator off the pedal switch, also I turned out the idle screw so letting off the throttle kills the engine too. on the clone there is no other wiring needed it is just like a lawnmower when you ground the ignition it kills the spark, you can turn the key off with it running and it makes no difference but short that black wire to ground and it is dead.
wicked872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You can turn the idle out but you need to have a kill switch of some kind, if the throttle ever stuck you could not turn it off. The relay is just so the pedal kills it, I didn't want a switch I wanted it to run like stock and shut off like stock. I can hold my pedal on and it idles.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:57 PM   #20
didjidude
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Wicked, that's what did. Turned the idle screw out till it dies and added a kill switch for emergencies. I'm happy with the set up.
didjidude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clone, kill, relay, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps