lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2023, 12:06 AM   #21
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Re: what is the best lithium battery set up for a club car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggycrazy View Post
Trojan all the way, easy to install and work like a dream.
Ironically, I had lunch today with a long time Trojan Regional Rep who was touting their 30AH 48v Lithium batteries and he told me something very strange (and amazing if true) about this product.

Rep said that their 48v 30AH batteries were really 75AH batteries. Rep said Trojan was very conservative with their ratings and that their lower AH ratings were there because their Batts were UL approved and had stricter guidelines.

Though I was (and still am) somewhat confused and circumspect, I was very polite as I have known this person a long time. I asked for either some official engineering/test data from Trojan to reflect that 75AH rate from a stated 30AH battery OR to allow me to come to the Trojan warehouse and load test myself. The rep told me that Trojan could/would provide one or both of these.

I asked multiple times if this was about peak capacity or if this was some kind of (made up) SLA equivalent rating. I was assured it is a true 75AH rating, meaning that this 30AH rated battery could give 75 amps for one hour (I asked that specifically).

Note, this is TROJAN'S representation, NOT mine. I am not pushing Trojan Lithium batteries, just sharing what I was told and I will also share any official engineering data I get and/or results of the load test if allowed.

If this is true, seems like it would be a game changer. However, I am skeptical and hoping someone here might be able to shed some additional light on this issue.
rockfordpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2023, 12:48 AM   #22
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

My reply to your other post….

Someone is talking crap (or is confused/misinformed) as they are physically too small to have all that stored energy. Maybe he meant they can supply 75A continuously, that would mean they’re using 2.5C (or 3C conservative) cells. More likely.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 06:46 AM   #23
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post

Someone is talking crap (or is confused/misinformed) as they are physically too small to have all that stored energy. Maybe he meant they can supply 75A continuously, that would mean they’re using 2.5C (or 3C conservative) cells. More likely.
according to the other thread discussing these someone said they use cylindrical cells so the the 2.5c makes total sense if they are using something like the headway cells in their packs. like these, (only new of course)
https://batteryhookup.com/products/u...ifepo4-battery
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 07:17 AM   #24
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Trojan is making lithium now?
Trojan has been making lithium batteries for a couple years now. They just aren’t very mainstream because they’re way more expensive than pretty much everybody else.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 08:30 AM   #25
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Trojan has been making lithium batteries for a couple years now. They just aren’t very mainstream because they’re way more expensive than pretty much everybody else.
I had no idea! I tend to view Trojan FLA's as the Cadillac of the industry but for some reason thought they stayed in the FLA space only; I learned something new!!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 08:40 AM   #26
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
according to the other thread discussing these someone said they use cylindrical cells so the the 2.5c makes total sense if they are using something like the headway cells in their packs. like these, (only new of course)
https://batteryhookup.com/products/u...ifepo4-battery
Agreed. Those headways are 25c not 2.5c. Note though that their cycle life of 1500 cycles (100% DOD) is rated at 1C discharge. Would love to know the cycle life at 25c discharge. I would expect it to be much much less.

Elaborating, Energy Density is fairly consistent between cell manufacturers as it’s a limitation/characteristic of the chemistry used. If two manufacturers have similar size and weight batteries, and they’re both using the same chemistry, LiFePO4 in this case, then their stored energy will be similar. Therefore, the 48v Trojan batteries, which are a similar size/weight to the Allied 48v/30Ah batteries, will be around the advertised 30Ah, definitely not 75Ah as suggested by rumour. By the same token, they cannot be 75Ah as they are much smaller than the (say) Eco Battery 48v/72Ah battery.

Yes, there will be differences in Energy Density depending on physical characteristics such as prismatic vs cylindrical, but it’s quite minimal.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:30 PM   #27
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post

Nothing to see here. Heard back from the Trojan rep, you are correct, the rep was confusing continuous amps with Amp Hours. I originally asked that question specifically and was assured it was Amp Hours, but they corrected it to continuous amps. Honestly, in that context, a little underwhelming LOL.
rockfordpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 02:25 AM   #28
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks for coming back to clarify.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car