lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
bonescrub
Not Yet Wild

Default Brake cable snapped, disc brake conversion?

So I stepped on the brakes on my 96 Ezgo and it went to the floor with ease. Traced the problem to a snapped brake cable. My plan is to replace both cables.
Since the cart is down I thought I should inspect the brake shoes. At which point do I need to replace the shoes? Also should I consider converting to disc brakes? Pros or cons?
If I stay with the drum I will likely replace the brake shoes I measured 2-3 mm at the the thinest point of the shoe. Possibly might replace some springs etc.

Part of me wants to convert to disc brakes but would like to hear the good and bad.
bonescrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2014, 04:04 AM   #2
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Brake cable snapped, disc brake conversion?

I've tried the ausco mechanical rear disc brake conversions on two different carts. Both ended up squealing after only weeks. Very annoying. I don't think I'll buy another.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:29 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

bonescurb, your on the right track. since you have it apart, I would replace the shoes....and if you are going to do the springs, replace them all. EZ-GO actually has a spring kit that has all of them in a set and is only $17.

https://www.shopezgo.com/products/Br...roduct_id=1692

as far as converting to disc's.....to me its really personal preference, I wouldn't.....my reasoning, if you have good drums/shoes and have them properly adjusted, there is no need. My cart runs 27 mph and can lock up the brakes at full speed if need be.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
bonescrub
Not Yet Wild

I am not unhappy with my brakes, I lock them up plenty of times, I don't think I will get more braking ability with discs, unless I added some sort of front brakes. I think I will just replace cable and shoes and do some clean up inside the drum.

I would love more braking, just don't see it happening with out front brakes.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Nuke, I totally agree with you that well adjusted drums are an awesome set of brakes. That's the way I myself go, I've still read about too many troubles with discs. I will say, however, that even crappy brakes can lock under fuel speed - good brakes are characterized by how well they perform in between zero pedal and lockup, specifically before they lock - the last thing you want in a quick stop is for the brakes to lock - it dramatically increases stopping distance.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
bonescrub
Not Yet Wild

I thought the drum brakes self adjusted.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:09 AM   #7
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

On an EZ, I think? Maybe? I know CC carts do, until you get back to the mid 90s, then its manual adjustment.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I have had the factory EZ-GO brakes on my hunting cart since I bot it. After I bot the cart, and because I drive the hills of SW Pa., it got much too scary to go down our hills (because we have "real hills" & "real mountains") so I had a set of front Jake Brakes (hydraulic) installed. So, now I have the Jakes disc on the front, and the factory cable drums on the rear.

The EZ-GO drums are self adjusting. Just put your cart in reverse, go in a straight line in reverse, fast, and hit the brakes hard. Do this about 3 times and your drums are adjusted. Just like the "old" (and I speak of the late '60's fords that I owned) auto drum brakes.

Now, you may hear others say that you can't get the cable and the hydraulic brakes to work in unison because...bla, bla, bla...but I'm here to tell you they do work in unison and I've never had an issue with them. The Jakes front disc don't squeal, the rear drums did at one point begin to squeal on me, but when my brother in law (master Mack mechanic) pulled the drum, they had a good bit of brake drum dust in 'em but the pads were fine. He put 'em back together and no squeal since.

Buy the Jakes. Put 'em on. You will be happy.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93yellowclubcar View Post
Nuke, I totally agree with you that well adjusted drums are an awesome set of brakes. That's the way I myself go, I've still read about too many troubles with discs. I will say, however, that even crappy brakes can lock under fuel speed - good brakes are characterized by how well they perform in between zero pedal and lockup, specifically before they lock - the last thing you want in a quick stop is for the brakes to lock - it dramatically increases stopping distance.

very true.....its why cars have anti-lock brakes.....but I was attempting to let him if they are in good shape and adjusted they will do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonescrub View Post
I thought the drum brakes self adjusted.
YES, they are......however, since you have them all taken apart, adjust them properly during the initial set up so you will get even and proper braking once you hit the road. you can find all of the maintenance/repair/adjustment info in the manual.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
very true.....its why cars have anti-lock brakes.
Anti-lock brakes work well in certain conditions. They are not perfect under ALL conditions. This is one of the reasons auto manufacture's install a anti-lock by pass switch. The best example I can give is when a vehicle is being braked hard on a down hill on a wash-board type surface. Your anti-lock brakes are pretty much worthless in this type of situation. Give me any type of brakes.....including a wooden stick nailed to the side of the vehicle, and it will out perform the anti-lock's under those conditions.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO