lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
cmar143
Gone Wild

Default Basic charger question

What part monitors the amperage during charge and determines when the batteries are topped off inside the charger itself? Im talking about in an older cart with no OBC.
cmar143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Basic charger question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmar143 View Post
What part monitors the amperage during charge and determines when the batteries are topped off inside the charger itself? Im talking about in an older cart with no OBC.
The amperage goes down as the " resistance " of the battery goes up. The charger has a circuit board that determines if the voltage is high enough ( total battery pack ) to turn on. The cutoff is both a voltage and time function. The board determines that a peak voltage has been reached and if it hasn't risen anymore in a determined amount of time, the charger shuts off. If a maximum voltage is never reached, the charger shuts off after 16hrs.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
cmar143
Gone Wild

Thanks for the explanation...the circuit board is the square board that is mounted to the front of the charger right? If the charger isnt turning off after 16 hrs I guess it would be correct to assume that this board is damaged?
Old 09-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation...the circuit board is the square board that is mounted to the front of the charger right? If the charger isnt turning off after 16 hrs I guess it would be correct to assume that this board is damaged?
Not for sure, if the batteries are not coming up to the preset cut off voltage the charger will not shut off.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
cmar143
Gone Wild

The batteries are coming up to 6.7V and it charges fine with a new charger but the original charger isnt cutting off and runs much higher amps then the new charger does. It will sit at 10A for a couple hours with pack close to charged and takes much longer to charge the entire pack then the new charger. When I plug in the new charger with the entire pack topped off the amps drop off much more quickly like it should.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
The batteries are coming up to 6.7V and it charges fine with a new charger but the original charger isnt cutting off and runs much higher amps then the new charger does. It will sit at 10A for a couple hours with pack close to charged and takes much longer to charge the entire pack then the new charger. When I plug in the new charger with the entire pack topped off the amps drop off much more quickly like it should.
Test your battery voltages after the charger has been off for 12hrs or so. It's normal to have very high voltage readings right after charging.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Not for sure, if the batteries are not coming up to the preset cut off voltage the charger will not shut off.
Should've answered this in my other post, but- - -, anyway, someone may have jumpered the relay in the board so the charger will never shut off! You can do this to test the charger for function, but it must not be used this way! Like all the rest of us, we forget things sometimes, and a good set of batteries gets ruined. I do know folks that have " jumped the board " and plug the charger into a timer. That will work safely, but you are taking a chance of still over or under charging the batteries!
Old 09-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
cmar143
Gone Wild

The batteries are fine, they are only 9 mos old and they read 6.3V after equalizing. The charger issue of it not turning off and charging at much higher amps for longer periods of time is what I am trying to figure out. And from what I can gather the timer board takes care monitoring and shutting down the charger correct?

All the wires are connected properly to the relay and timer from what I can see.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car