lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
tman
Not Yet Wild

Default 1996 48 volt won't run - solenoid or micro switch

I have a '96 48 volt club car. The batteries are charged. It started having problems a week ago. Intermitantly, when you pressed on the accelerator pedal, it would not do anything and then all of a sudden it might go. A couple of days ago, it stopped running. With the key on, when you press the accelerator, you can hear the solenoid click. The cables do need replacing. I jumped the two large posts on the solenoid, turned the key on, put it in forward, and it worked when I pressed the pedal. From reading lots of threads on this forum, I can't tell for sure if it's the solenoid, diode, resistor, or micro switch by the accelerator. I will replace the cables today. but I don't think it would have run by jumping the solenoid terminals if the cables were the only problem. Here are my questions.
1. Could it be just the cables?
2. Should I bother replacing the micro switch next to see if that is the fix?
3. Is it defintely the solenoid that needs to be replaced?
4. Could it be the diode or resistor?
tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default re: 1996 48 volt won't run - solenoid or micro switch

Welcome to BGW Tman!

You are correct, it will not run at all if it were the cables and it ran when you jumped the post's. I would lean more towards a solenoid or microswitch or possibly a wire. The late engagement makes me want to think solenoid though.

If the solenoid is clicking but the cart is not moving but you can jump the post on the solenoid and it will move then your solenoid is bad.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

Solenoid would be my first assumption.
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum tman........................
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:45 AM   #5
cwayaustx
Gone Wild
Club Car

I am fairly new to the buggies, been doing electrical work nearly 15 years though. I'm currently on my 3rd buggy project and personally when I have to replace a solenoid, the micro switch and diode are too cheap not to replace, unless they have obviously been replaced. My thinking could be wrong, but if your already right there and one is going bad then why not kill two birds. just my unexperienced thoughts. My second cart was an 88 ezgo, that I replaced the coils, solenoid, switch, speed control board/contactors, cables and batteries. When I mashed the throttle the cart took off wide open until I put it in nuetral. I checked and rechecked the wiring. The cart would do this 90% of the time, finally I bought another solenoid not really thinking my new one could be bad. problem solved but the runaway cart could have very easily have injured me or someone else. (it did run through the security gaurds gate and pushed it about twenty feet until it hit another permanant fence and finally stopped, thankfully only my buddy saw this) but it definately could have been BAD, just something to think about.
cwayaustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
tman
Not Yet Wild

Thanks! I'll replace the solenoid. I cant' seem to find the micro switch. Do I have to jack the cart up and crawl under to replace the micro switch for the accelerator?
tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car