lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #11
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Default Re: DC wiring confusion

Which part arced? I didn't understand the OP. The receptacle on the cart?
ezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
D-A
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The arc happened at the local shop when the charger only was tested! That's when the guy said the white was on the NEG and should be on the POS.

I figured that the wires should run straight to the batteries, but not sure. The cart's controller has 4 lugs on top, all the diadram I've seen have 3.

I'm still wondering if I should switch the wires in the cart's recepticle. If I don't, then when I plug in the charger DC cord the white POS will line up to the cart's black POS and it runs to the controller with a 6 ga to the NEG post

Am I not coming across okay? If not please let me know what you need
D-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #13
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Just confirm that POS goes to POS and NEG goes to NEG. Other than that, I think the color can be red green and yellow for all it matters. Just know that if it is not corrected you may have trouble understanding wiring directions if you plan on doing future upgrades. If it sparks, disconnect all power immediately. Would you like me to post pictures of my wiring?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Your wiring will work just fine at the controller. The White is connected to Pos on the batteries and the black is connected to the Neg, though in a round about way. The issue is at the charger receptacle. Make sure the side that the white wire is on matches to the Pos of the charger plug. Color is irrelevant, polarity is not!

Do you own a digital volt meter?
wizardket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
riverracer
Getting Wild
Club Car

White looks to be hook up to + on soleoid and if black is on B- terminal of controler it is ok.Same as hooking to + - on batt pack.Same for charger white + and Black -. Make sure charger did not blow the fuse if it arched.
riverracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #16
D-A
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I understand that the wire color would not matter as long as POS goes to POS etc. Problem is that my wires don't go straight to the batteries, so if it is wired right for my set up then the colors matter. Remeber that before I switched the DC cord ends, the DC wires followed their colors to whatever they were connected to. Image this -- You were to switch the POS & NEG wires on your charger DC cord and plugged it in!! You see what I mean! I know I could then switch the carts wires, but remember, my run to the solenoid (POS) and the top of the controller (NEG).

Pictures would be great!

Would it be possible to show me the wiring of the solenoid and controller? I need to see where the wires come from and where they attach.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #17
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

White wire from charge receptacle is positive and should go to the positive terminal on the battery. Black wire from the charge receptacle is negative and should go to the negative terminal on the other battery.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #18
D-A
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Wizard & River thanks! You seem to understand what I've got.

So to clarify--- As long as I switch the carts white to POS (matching charger end) then the rest is wired okay?

Okay, let me ask you guys this. If I never switched the charger DC cord ends which were set up as follows --blk was POS & wh was NEG. Was it possible that the charger even worked because of the internal wiring in the charger! That's why it arc at the shop! Could it have damaged anything on the cart if the past owner tried to charge the cart?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #19
D-A
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Also thanks to Kid & Ron for their help! Didn't want to make it seem I didn't appreciate your advise(s)!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #20
riverracer
Getting Wild
Club Car

If you trace wires the balck on controller goes to neg on pack and the white on solenoid goes to pos on pack.Most do not wire from factory directly to batt pack.Put dig meter in recp of cart and you should see pack voltage and most tell if polarity is wrong.Make sure from charger white is pos and black is neg and you should be good.If charger does'nt work check fuse since you said it arched.
riverracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
95 medalist, dc cord, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO