lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-14-2020, 11:34 AM   #1
Dennis Ross
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2011 TXT speed improvement needed

Just purchased a 2011 TXT 48v cart, top speed is 16 mph, has been lifted and has larger tires. My controller is the stock Curtis 1206HB-5201. Very new to this process, from what I have read it appears to get anything else out of the stock set up I need a dealer to plug in and reprogram the controller. If I paid the ransom on that process what increase should I see? I am not looking to be the fastest guy in the campground, but would like to see 22 mph.

If that means a aftermarket controller then I would rather put my money there, what other parts need to be upgraded with the controller?

Thanks for any advice!
Dennis Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-14-2020, 12:34 PM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2011 TXT speed improvement needed

Hello and Welcome to our forum!

I have the same cart. I think the freedom mode makes 19mph on stock tires if I remember correctly. Larger tires can potentially get you more. What is your tire size?

Common things that will slow you down are low pressure in the tires, weak batteries, bad alignment or dragging brakes. Front windshields also have an effect at higher speeds.

Even if your cart has been unlocked but you have weak batteries and 9psi in the tires, you won't see 19 mph.

So the first thing to do is check how much pressure your tires say they can handle and increase the pressure to see if that helps. Too high a pressure will make the ride rough, so it is a balancing act.

Second thing is to put the cart in neutral, put the run/tow switch into tow and on a flat paved piece of ground see how hard it is to push. It should roll pretty easily. If not you may have brakes that are dragging.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:41 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

A stock 48txt will run right at 19 with freedom mode enabled and the mode bumped up to that. Just the dongle gets you 17. Have to have the handheld to finish. If you have a developer setup you can squeeze a little more out of it.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:02 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Without the RPM limiting imposed (about 4400RPM max in Freedom mode) by the Curtis 1206HB controller, the stock TXT-48 motor will spin at about 5600RPM when fed by a stock 48V battery pack, which is about 24MPH on stock height (18" tall) tires.

An Alltrax XCT48400-TXT48 (or larger) is user programmable via a USB cable and the max motor RPM can be adjusted up to 8000RPM. Of course, that is far too high for most motors and should be dialed back to the max RPM recommend by the motor manufacturer, so the motor won't be over-revved going downhill with the pedal on the floor.

Taller that stock tires will up the top speed, but reduce the torque, so cart's actual speed will not reach the theoretical speed, and if tires are the low pressure type (less than 10PSI max pressure) the top speed is further reduced.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:27 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Ross View Post
Just purchased a 2011 TXT 48v cart, top speed is 16 mph, has been lifted and has larger tires. My controller is the stock Curtis 1206HB-5201. Very new to this process, from what I have read it appears to get anything else out of the stock set up I need a dealer to plug in and reprogram the controller. If I paid the ransom on that process what increase should I see? I am not looking to be the fastest guy in the campground, but would like to see 22 mph.

If that means a aftermarket controller then I would rather put my money there, what other parts need to be upgraded with the controller?

Thanks for any advice!
I can reprogram the 1206HB-5201 for about 5% above freedom mode speed and about 28% more torque. Better than a dealer would be able to do with the stock controller. This can be done via mail...
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO